jazz guitarists

sacabocado
sacabocado
12/11/2001 7:40 pm
when talking about jazz guitarists, why is it that no one ever mentions/recognizes Django Reinhardt? in my opinion he is one of the best guitarists of all time, not just in jazz. his improvisation and overall playing skills are incredible, and if no one ever mentioned it you wouldn't know he could only use two fingers on his fret hand--he's better than most people with all four.
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/11/2001 11:50 pm
it's true, he was amazing... I live in france, and I have had the chance to check out his son, Babik reindhart, who died a couple of weeks ago... If you like his style, you might want to check Romane, a french guitarist who plays like django (a little too close actually) and also BIreli Lagrene, who is considered by many like his spiritual son...
It's too bad that people go wild listening to kirk hammett and all those hard rockers who suck compared to jazz guys (I'm a hard rocker, don't get me wrong, but some jazzers really shred more than us...)
# 2
sacabocado
sacabocado
12/12/2001 12:27 am
thanks for the suggestions. i know what you mean, i respect the guys like kirk and listen to a lot of that stuff too, but i feel a bit more for the jazz guys. i mean, it takes skill either way, but it's one thing to write a solo and play it every time, and quite another to re-write that solo each time in your head as you play--at speed.
# 3
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/12/2001 4:09 pm
yeah i saw a show about him a while ago and he was amazing
there was also emet ray, or whatever his name is spelled
i saw a movie about few days ago, it seems he was a realy brilliant player even though he was a sucky person
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/12/2001 4:50 pm
When I hear Django's playing, I'm knocked out by what he played, how he played it (2 fingers) and when he played it, just totally ahead of his time, compare how influenced by other players we are today and how much infomation is availble so easily, and we can't fathom the music he had in him
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.