View post (When they tell you you're good, when you're really bad!)

View thread

gigginpig
gigginpig
01/08/2002 1:50 pm
Things that I've learned to keep in mind on a "bad" night:

1. No matter how "bad" you may think YOU performed, the drummer, bassist, singer, etc. may be having (in their mind) a "career" night. Don't dwell too much in yourself. If you're struggling (and we all do) join in someone else's joy.

2. When someone compliments you on a "bad" performance, ALWAYS look them in the eye and thank them. Be appreciative at all times. These are your "fans". If you feel you had a bad night, it's okay to be honest. You might say, "Thanks, I really appreciate that. I really felt I was struggling tonight and I didn't get where I wanted to go, but I'm so glad you enjoyed the show." People like to know you're human, and that you care deeply about what you do.

3. No matter how lousy you feel on stage, 99% of the people in the audience WISH they could do what you can do.

4. The same 99% only see the forest. They don't care about the trees. They hear music, not notes. It's only you that hears the occasional clams and mishaps. It's a "craftsmanship" thing. In every trade, there are perfectionists. Builders, plumbers, whatever, can show you every imperfection on every job they've done that you'd never find.

5. Be clear where the compliment is coming from. Mom will always say "You were just fabulous, dear!!" Your best friend will say, "Whoa. What was wrong up there??" Both should be thanked for their input.

JDu.