pickup

dev
dev
12/08/2001 8:38 am
i've got problem's with my pickup because it doesn't respond when i hit a string
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/09/2001 2:56 am
Something is broken; the trick is in finding out where it is.

The answers to a few questions can help nail it down.

• Is only one of the pickups silent? This would mean that the problem is in some part of the wiring that is specific to that pickup, like the wires from the pickup to the tone/volume controls, or part of the pickup selector switch. Otherwise, the problem is 'further downstream', that is, closer to the output jack.

• Does the fault come and go when I jiggle the pickup, or one of the controls or switches? This will help to narrow your search, and find a faulty pot or switch. Obviously, if you move the PU selector back and forth from one position to another, the fault will appear and disappear, but if it cuts in and out when you move the toggle a little bit, it may need to be cleaned or replaced. Tone and volume controls can get 'scratchy', or cut out completely when they are due for replacement. If you feel confident in your ability to poke around the inside of the control chamber without causing more problems, look for loose connections, or wires that have come off.

• Is the amp turned on? Go ahead, laugh. You'd be amazed how many of these 'guitar problems' turn out to be a blown fuse in the amp!

If all else fails, take your axe in to the shop and have a good tech check it out.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
dev
dev
12/09/2001 2:28 pm
thanks man that really helped and figured out the problem
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.