View post (comment on my band name)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/13/2008 10:20 am
Yeah... that's better.

Try to imagine Dave Letterman or Jay Leno introducing your band (if yer lucky enough to get booked on one of those shows :)

How memorable will it be? Will it get lumped in with dozens of other weirdo names that nobody can remember?

I guess it's dependent on whether you're seriously into getting somewhere in the music industry with an indie or major label or if you're just coming up with a joke name for your friends and small gigs around town.

Another thing to keep in mind is you can make a mint from the sale of T-Shirts and other perephenalia and a really kewl, "rocker" soundin band name will make you more money from an audience than something goofy that makes you look gay. (not that there's anything wrong with that :rolleyes:

For instance, we used to have a band called "Slime Dogs From Hell" and always sold out our T-Shirts (actually making more money from t-shirt sales than the gig was paying us). The radio stations loved promoting us cause of the cool, raunchy name and at one point we became Q107's FM's house band.

Then we changed the name to "Doll Face" and could hardly sell any shirts at all. And nobody at the radio stations wanted to promote us.
We even tried changing the name to 'Bitch'n Boys' and they wouldn't promote that either cause it sounded too raunchy and it scared off the advertisers.

Rocker guys want a cool t-shirt to wear regardless of who the band is, and personally... I wouldn't be caught dead in a shirt that said "Doll Face". (or penguin for that matter)

I guess think of it this way.... why would anybody wear a shirt that said Penguin on it?. And you can make 75% profit on the sale of band products at shows.