Rest in Peace Jerry Reed

sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
09/02/2008 7:27 pm
I just read a Blog that Brent Mason posted, about Jerry Reed passing away yesterday. He was a huge influence on me, my guitar playing, and even my sense of humor.

I don't know all of the details, but I do know he was a gifted guitarist. He will be missed, many would be surprised to know how many things Jerry Done throughout his musical career.

You may not realize it, but almost everyone has heard Jerry's music. There's no telling how many of his songs have been recorded by other artist, and by him.

Some will remember the humor in his writing, and his parts in movies that made you laugh. I remember him as one of the first tele pickers I ever heard, and a true legend to guitar players all over the world.

Rest in peace Jerry, and thanks for the licks, laughter, and inspiration.

JD
# 1
Billy Hell
Billy Hell
09/03/2008 12:19 pm
I met Jerry through another great guitar player, Chip Young (he did the lead line on "Pretty Women". Jerry was a helluva picker. It sad to think his hands are silenced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOGiW-y-Vhs
# 2
OldGuitarDude
OldGuitarDude
09/07/2008 4:00 am
I'm with you sixpicker, Jerry was a huge influence on me also. Who could listen to him on his Tele and not be inspired?

He will be missed - Thanks Jerry

DH
# 3
housemonkey
housemonkey
09/13/2008 2:06 am
I always thought of Jerry Reed as the country version of Joe Walsh. Amazing guitar players with a sense of humor.
# 4
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
09/19/2008 8:02 am
I remember a show he done for the Nashville Network called "Nashville Now" George Lunn Chet atkins road manager used to get us in backstage all the time. The show was on april fool's day, and Jerry came out and told everyone the show had been canceled, they even rolled the credits. he kept this going until people started getting up to leave, and then said it was a joke.

I also have some friends I haven't seen in years that used to work with him. Shawn Camp worked with Jerry when he wasn't playing with us at Opryland, and Thom Thielan played bass for him for a long time.

he was a real down to earth person, but he was a serious guitar picker. Whether he was picking on a tele, or a gut string acoustic he was great. I know he played other guitars too, but to me the tele, and the gut string were the most memorable. He was a wonderful entertainer, and it's sad to know he won't be picking his licks or making us laugh anymore.

JD
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.