Stream Your Live Recording..

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/09/2008 7:38 pm
Hey everyone..

I just found a new feature of Reaper, my preferred recording software. There is a plugin that can be downloaded from their Unreleased plugins page called SHOUTcast.dll. This is a type of plugin that allows you to save your live output to a SHOUTcast server. A SHOUTcast server is something people use to transmit Internet Radio stations.

You'd definitely need a powerful computer and lots of bandwidth if you were thinking of doing a proper performance for 100's of people but I've always wanted to share my ideas with 1 or 2 other people at a time, and now I can in real-time. In the past I would have to record the track, then render it to an MP3 file and send the file manually to each person I wanted to show but now I can just send them a link that they can put into their MP3 player to listen to.

It took a little bit of setting up and a fair amount of technical knowledge but it is no harder than most things to do with streaming stuff these days. There's about a 10 to 15 second delay from what I am playing, to what is coming through the internet radio station but I can hear myself through my headphones in real-time naturally.. so that's not really an issue.

The only problem I guess is having to know a fair bit of technical stuff for the setup, having decent bandwidth and also having to re-initialise the connection from Reaper to the server if I change projects.

I attached a screenshot of it in action. If you want more info on where to get Reaper or the plugin, let me know.. however I can't really help that much with the setup, other than point you to documentation.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.