Classical Music and Experimental Music

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
06/17/2008 8:47 am
Slava & Leonard Grigoryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heSFdzXdgQI

Slave Grigoryan is an Australian classical guitarist, which I immensely enjoy listening to.. that is whenever I remember that he exists. He is obviously playing in a genre that is not commonly listened to be most people these days but he is very good. The above YouTube link contains some excerpts of him playing with his brother. Not full pieces but it's enough to get an idea of his playing. Leonard, I can only assume, is his brother.

Cold Fairyland (2007.1.17 - Live in Holland)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2yHzKomkAc
Cold Fairyland is a band who have originated in Shanghai, China. Their music is quite experimental but in many ways quite mind blowing. Even without understand the lyrics, which are sung in Mandarin, the universal language of music shines through. I guess this could be considered as World Music. The YouTube video above is a good example of what they have to offer but of course with this type of music, you really need to listen to a few of their songs to get a better understanding of what they are trying to achieve.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
looneytunes
looneytunes
06/18/2008 10:35 am
Slave Grigoryan is Ok. They can play, but I didn't care for the piece they were playing. I don't care much for the chicken neck motion. It makes me nervous. I know many guitarist move to the music. Tommy Emmanuel really moves and in most cases I like it. It shows they are really into it, but the chicken neck motion I just don't like. Not that anything is wrong with it, I just don't like to see it.

Cold Fairyland I didn't care for. I quess my nerves are shot in my old age. I like stuff more deep and mellow. High pitch noises gives me a headache. Again, that's just me.
# 2
supersoad1
supersoad1
06/24/2008 10:30 pm
cool, thanks for the links
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/25/2008 9:54 pm
Cold Fairyland was pretty interesting...it takes them too long to get going with their songs, though, in my opinion.

Slava and Leonard didn't interest me very much with the type of music they played, but I wish I could play like them.

Cool links.
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
06/26/2008 7:34 am
Yeh.. pretty random links really. I'd heard about Cold Fairyland from a friend of a friend and Slava I saw on TV once..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.