completely hooked (long winded)

dougjt
dougjt
05/24/2008 7:15 pm
First off my name is Doug, I'm 30ish, live in Las vegas and I have a passion for music. By trade I do smart home stuff but i specialize in putting together and building home music systems mid to hi end. I picked up a guitar about a week and a half ago and i cant put it down.After some online surfing I thought this was the best site for a beginner. I tried a guitar when i was younger and was frustrated quickly and put it down, but starting on lesson 1 how to use your pick I'm able to make progress.
Which brings me to the reason for my post I need a little direction. I cruised though the first several lessons pretty easily picking up the melody's quickly struggling a bit with the d then hitting my first hurdle. yes the F. after working on the f g and c for a while I can change between them sometimes smoothly but get a lot of buzzing and sometimes worse. I get a little burned just working on those chords alone so i skipped a bit and learned the c scale to mix it up(not sure if this a good idea or not) .
So my question's are, should i just grind thru it ? Is working on the c scale already a good idea? Or any other advise. I want to mix it up a bit but with stuff that will bring progress perhaps an easy song with the chords I can do.

Thanks, Doug

BTW.. I play electric and I like from anything bluesy, southern style rock, rock,alternative, funky stuff, and good old school metal
# 1
earthone
earthone
05/24/2008 8:35 pm
I know terrible words for someone who wants to pick and sing but the f cord is challenging you may want to try a barr cord. It’s magic after awhile you all of a sudden drop the buzz and the thumps. Don’t give up I’m a local in vegas so just email me if I can help.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/25/2008 4:24 am
It takes time. When I first started I was as frustrated as you are. Now I can throw in the F chord as seemlessly as any other. It's ok to go ahead to other lessons. Just try to work in a little time for the trouble spots in your routine.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/25/2008 12:58 pm
I can echo the sentiments of the others. The F used to drive me nuts too. Once I got the barr chord form down, it really is so much easier! Just take your time and work on those trouble spots a little at a time. Once you get it, you'll wonder why it seemed so tough at first! :)

BTW, welcome to GT. I think you'll enjoy it here. Plenty of great lessons and loads of really helpful people.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4
dougjt
dougjt
05/25/2008 8:02 pm
Thanks for the reply's and advise,

Don’t give up I’m a local in vegas so just email me if I can help.
Thanks Earthtone I'll do that

It's ok to go ahead to other lessons. Just try to work in a little time for the trouble spots in your routine.

It seems to work if I do the scales a bit then the chords for a bit etc. etc. I think the scales help stretching and hand strength. The f c and g are coming together a bit

BTW, welcome to GT. I think you'll enjoy it here. Plenty of great lessons and loads of really helpful people.

Thanks for the welcome hunter. I am glad I found this site I think I'll keep making progress quickly

Thank's again,

Doug
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.