View post (VOTING For GT Solo Assignment - April 2008)

View thread

mpaq
mpaq
05/03/2008 8:16 pm
Really tough to vote this month....so many of the tracks were close it would be hard to narrow it down to three let alone just one. But one it is, so here goes.
In terms of technical skill and overall proficiency, no question to the talent of both Maestro Shaz and Superhuman. Maestro's take i think was best suited to the track, and i highly doubt it has anything to do with it being his backing track....man you just have it down, no matter what you seem to play.
Superhuman...that you can be away from it for several months and just pick up the guitar and throw something like that together at the last minute really speaks for itself. Amazing how you transition those bends directly into a run.
I would say both you guys have the best overall tone as well.

Cookie Monster - i enjoyed your track a lot when you first posted it. Tried to listen to it again, but couldnt get the vid to play on your site..you should try hosting it somewhere that will just allow the mp3 download..in any case if I recall from a few weeks ago, you started out a little slow but about half way through you were ripping it pretty good. If I recall, the quality of the recording wasnt great, but your sound and style is unique, and a pleasure to listen to. Would like to hear more.

Spedzar - I think you are obviously a very talented musician...there was a lot of stuff going on in this track, all of it interesting, but not all of it well suited for this particular track i thought. What i heard you playing was really really good, but i just felt a lot of it got lost with all the effects.

Fingerspasm - i remember reading one of your posts where you mention you were really working on your shredding excercises. It appears to be paying off for you...i wish i had that kind of speed. Interesting opening and I particularly like the dual guitar sounds

Equator - Really good job. Especially around the 1:30 mark..i loved that transition. When i first joined this board, you were one of the first players i listened to and always enjoy coming back to your stuff.

WWB - nice solid track..nothing overly fancy, just good phrasing and a recurring theme that worked really well

Wriggler - Interesting use of the wah. In fact there was a lot of different styles in there, very different but it all came together and you didnt miss a beat. Really unique and interesting track overall.

So tough to call, but my vote goes to Equator...that bit around the 1:30 -1:40 mark really made it for me. Very close second to Wriggler for his unique and creative track as well as WWB for a well executed solo.