View post (Oh my god, I've got the friggin hickups)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
05/08/2008 11:08 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI wonder if getting knocked unconscious would cure the hiccups...

Like, what if you just choked yourself until you passed out or something? Would they keep going? I know that's unhealthy, but if I had been hiccuping for 15 months, I think I'd be willing to try anything.

I'm sure if when unconscious you should die, your hiccups would stop. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine having the hiccups for 15 months! You have what is called “Intractable” hiccups and you should consult a doctor.

According to the Mayo Clinic (is that Mayo like on a BLT?) there are several cures, but you should not try these yourself. You need to see a doctor when the hiccups last more than 48 hours, interfere with eating, drinking, sleeping, or if it causes choking. Such treatments are medication, such as, chlorpromazine (Thorazine) and others, carotid sinus message, Nasogatric tube, or an injection of an anesthetic to block the phrenic nerve. All of these treatments can be dangerous to your health if not performed by a doctor.

Man, I cound like a commerical!

I’m sure you Googled your condition, but if not, do so and please see a doctor. You sound like you might try something stupid and we sure wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to you.

I am not a doctor and I am not suggesting any medical treatment. I am suggesting for you to consult a doctor. There, that's my disclaimer!

Take care, friend!