View post (Santana - Into The Night (Single))

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/14/2008 8:38 am
Heyas

I can't let this one slip past without being mentioned.. I was in my local Big-W (Aussie version of Walmart) and I was trying to find something to buy my Mum for her birthday, when I saw this CD single. It was only $3.84 (which is about $2 USD) and it is Santana afterall.. so I thought, "Why not.." and grabbed it as well.

Well I must say that the first track "Into The Night" is rubbish in my opinion.. I never did like much of his stuff where he is playing accompaniment to someone else's songs, like on the Supernatural album he did a few years back. There were a couple of decent tracks that came from that album but for the most part, it's just pop music rubbish.

But then things start to get better as the CD moves through into the other 3 tracks on the CD. Of Particular note are tracks 3 and 4. Wonderful instrumental track done in traditional Santana-style but also very fresh and new sounding. Track 3 "Curacion (Sunlight On Water)" is my favourite because I can hear all the various influences he has had over the years coming out in the track. First there is Mark Knophfler (or however you spell his name), then a David Gilmour influence, then it goes into pure Santana.. later into the track there is a distinctive Richie Blackmoore influence.. it's really nice stuff.. a warm, samba beat drives the whole thing along in typical Santana style.

Track 4 is equally deserving of praise but Track 3 is the best on there for sure. Whenever I listen to Track 3, I always think of Kevin Taylor.. it sounds very similar to some of the stuff I have heard from Kevin and I'm sure he would get a kick out of hearing it...

Here's a link to a sample of the tracks on the single but of course they are very short samples at a very low quality of recording just for promotional/advertising purposes obviously.. but I would definitely recommend shelling out the $2.00 for this CD or possible less if it download just Tracks 3 and 4 from a MP3 or itunes site where you can pay per track.

http://www.play4me.com.au/product/into_the_night_1590154_654116.html
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog