Making Tutorial Videos

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/02/2008 7:03 am
Hey there..

For a while now I have been wanting to contribute with some video lessons but I am unsure how to go about it. May be one or more of the current GT Instructors could explain how they go about making their videos. When I play guitar through the computer I can't get it to come out of the normal speakers. Do you video yourself and record the audio separately, and then edit it together later? Or do you record it all in one go? Which software do you use? Do you use a proper digital video camera? Do you mic up an amp? Do you record directly to your computer using ASIO drivers? etc

Thanks
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2008 8:01 am
I'm on a Mac but it should be similar on a PC.

Hitachi VM-625LA Camcord (a really old 8mm camcord with RCA audio and video outputs. Has a remote but you have to leave the cassette door open or the camera shuts off after 5 minutes)

I plug the Video output from the camcord into a Pyro A/C link and the Pyro is plugged into a Firewire port on my Mac.

For audio, I have my guitar plugged into a Boss GT-8 effects unit. The stereo outputs are plugged into a Behringer MX802A mixer. Then I use 1/4" to RCA cables to connect the output from the mixer to the Pyro.

This gives you live video from the camera and live audio from your guitar.

For software I'm using iMovie. Basically self explained and easy to use. Just click on Import and the live feed from the camera and audio is viewable on your computer screen.

Hit record, edit the thing. Covert it to FLV and upload.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.