View post (R U Serious About Songwriting?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 10:48 am
I have been writing songs for many years and I have had a few successes. I am not bragging, but I have learned a few things over the years. First, I believe you must write for yourself. You need to use all the resources, your experiences, your friends experiences, your friend's friend's experiences, your past, your dreams, you sorrows. You must use your day to day conversations, conversations you over heard, everything.

Though I don't always start with a good title, this is the best way to start lyrics. A good title will usually write the song and it can come from anywhere. Such as, I remember running to my next class in high school (many years ago) and I forgot where I was supposed to be. Was I suppose to go upstairs or down stairs? I was temporarily brain locked! Then I got this idea for a song title, "Up the Down Staircase". I certainly never wrote a song with such a title, but isn't it a great title?

Anyway, I don't really want to promote any books, but I believe this website and book will help many of you to get started in songwriting. And if you are serious about songwriting, don't keep your songs to yourself. Others have had your same experiences and thoughts and dreams. It would be a terrible thing not to share yours with them.

I receive a lot of pleasure from writing songs, whether I ever hear them on the radio or not. I write for myself, but it also gives a body great joy when someone else accepts their songs.

I have been doing much of the things mentioned in John Braheny's book, but I have also learned a great deal from it. Here's the website, if any of you are interested.

www.johnbraheny.com

I hope posting this website doesn't get me into trouble with this BB. I do not get any benefits from from Mr. Braheny's book. I am merely trying to help those who may not know how to start writing a song. I believe this to be a great tool.