GT Solo Assignment: October '07

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
11/01/2007 2:29 pm
Ok.. I've finally put together my final cut.. It's still not perfect.. many mistakes and tonal problems throughout.. but it's the end of October so now I must settle with what I have.. Don't get me wrong.. I am happy with the result.. just that it can be so much more. I may actually take a break from it and come back to later.. make the song go for a bit longer etc..

So here it is:

GT Solo October - Final Edit
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
mpaq
mpaq
11/01/2007 3:36 pm
Originally Posted by: light487Ok.. I've finally put together my final cut.. It's still not perfect.. many mistakes and tonal problems throughout.. but it's the end of October so now I must settle with what I have.. Don't get me wrong.. I am happy with the result.. just that it can be so much more. I may actually take a break from it and come back to later.. make the song go for a bit longer etc..

So here it is:

GT Solo October - Final Edit

wow Luke, that sounds wicked. I'm not experienced enough to understand what you mean by tonal problems but I just love the feel you put into it.
# 2
seazer
seazer
11/02/2007 1:50 am
Just a quick note .Well done Light487 your best production so far eazy.I think your are getting somthing back for all your agonizing.The clean up on the beginning of this retake makes all the difference as it dosent detract from the listening experience straight away (you know like that note or tone was out or wrong) so you are holding the ear from the start.

You will definatley take another forward step when you get your hands on the Ibanez Prestige Rg wizard neck You wont regret it.
# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
11/02/2007 9:01 am
It's great to get some objective confirmation that I have improved again. Regardless, I feel I have grown a lot since starting on these Guitar Solo Assignments.. A huge thank you to whoever started this, and also a big thank you to those who have supplied the backing tracks as well. Without those backing tracks, it just simply wouldn't have happend and I'd still be playing the same old "stuff" again and again. I played this month's track to some people including some people at work, and even my Dad said he thought it sounded like someone else he knew from the radio. I asked people to try and guess who it was but no one could put their fingers on who it was.. When I said it was me, they were all.. including my Dad.. genuinely shocked. Even the people at church who I play with every 2 weeks or so say how much I have improved.

I'd love to say that my subscription to GT made all of that possible but it's really the forums that have helped me the most. Having said that.. without the many videos of lessons I have simply watched through without actually using them to practise, I would never have been inspired to learn music theory.. never inspired to try something new.. never inspired.. period. The full access sections did have A LOT of knowledge.. and I think that was the problem for me. There was just SOOOOO much... it is overwhelming. Especially so when you had decided that you had reached the peak of your abilities.

Guitar is now just as exciting as it was 6 months ago but now I actually know what I am doing. Well sort of at least... a better idea of what I am doing, perhaps.. anyway, if you asked me to replay the entire solo, I could.. note for note. I'm not jamming any more.. I am actually "creating" stuff now.. and it's effortless compared to before. I can even discuss the solo in proper musical terms so as to relate the technical side of things to other people to share in the lessons I have learnt from it. I am even thinking of borrowing my parents' digital video camera and trying to make a audio AND visual experience.

Just wonderful.. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
11/03/2007 12:46 am
Firstly, welcome aboard to JGPeeples and Spedzar;

Secondly, Equator, I really like that whole idea of ranking the song in that sorta method, it would definitely put some structure into the reviews.

However instead of saying "good" or "fair", I think we should do like a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best.

Thirdly, time to crit the new solos!

Light487:

[U]Composition[/U]: (9) I can tell you put a LOT of thought into this track...IT. WAS. AWESOME. I loved the "verse" and "chorus" parts, it all flowed really well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't really got a suggestion in this area since composition is different for every person and every track...hell, even every guitar.
[U]Performance[/U]: (9) Played practically perfect, there was one spot where it seemed like you stuttered, but other than that you played great. Overall this was a good performance. I can't really offer any real way for you to improve except keep playing, but you know that already ^_^
[U]Technique[/U]: (7-8) Nothing too flashy, nothing dull; you had some nice bends in there and everything was played fairly clean, this track was done really well. My only suggestion to you is that you add some vibrato, some more bends. Your playing on this track was really well thought out but I think if you did some vibratos it would be that much more emotional, there were times when the notes were ringing out that I was hoping you'd do that; It really isn't anything major, just a style choice, something that I think improve your sound a bit more. Overall though your technique is really good, in many ways I wish I played more like you...
[U]Tone + Recording and Mixing[/U]: (8) I don't know a whole lot in this area, but I do know what sounds I like and that sounded great, really heavy on the reverb, which is something I really detest, but that aside the mix was decent.
[U]Overall[/U]l: (9) Great track all in all, it is 500% obvious that you are improving as the months go on, can't wait to see what you dish out next month ^_^

WrigglerUK:

[U]Composition[/U]: (8) Overall it seemed as though you were improvising most of the track, but the beginning guitar and the light synth were put together pretty well, so kudos on that. No real tips on improvement here.
[U]Performance[/U]: (9) It was all played really well, executed perfectly, no complaints on that.
[U]Technique[/U]: (8) Your technique was good as well. The slides were executed well, your bends were nice, your playing was really clean. Overall nice job.
[U]Tone + Recording and Mixing[/U]: (8) I didn't like how that first guitar was mixed in. Then it moved on and I heard synths and the guitars sounded nice, I liked how everything was panned out. I didn't care for the tone of the first guitar but I did like the tonal variation throughout the song. I had some reverb and compressors set on my mix but we had an issue with the mixer itself and we had to goof with the output cables and in the restart process those elements of the mix were lost and at 2am you just don't give a **** :-D But yeah good tone, enjoyed the synths.
[U]Overall[/U]: (8) Nice synths, playing, all around good track. It wasn't like groundbreaking but it was by far an improvement over your other tracks...that's probably my favorite aspects about people sticking in forums like this, seeing how other guitar players develop...

JGPeeples, I actually thoroughly enjoyed your track. Sure it was a bit on the messy side but you have mad improv skills man. I don't really get how you can learn to play lead since it really isn't something you learn, but for having just dove into this realm of guitar, your track was really good...I'm getting sick of critting in the above format because it is taking forever, but you had a good tone, it wasn't horrible(as if I am really one to talk), I can see that your technique is developing and I am really interested in seeing what stuff you come up with in the following months. Basically just keep working at it; learn a few scales, play around with the track and get some ideas down; y'know, go through the motions, all that crap? Anyway good track man can't wait to see you in the coming months.

Spedzar. Your playing was awesome. I loved the outro, it had a jam feel to it...the whole track did ^_^ Your playing was actually fairly clean, it wasn't structured well nor was it structured poorly. I am assuming this was mostly an improv track and to be honest I really enjoyed it. Your technique is really good, you did a lot of legato stuff from what I could hear...You are another person who I can't wait to see how you develop in the coming months.

Fourthly, on the crit structure suggested by equator and superhuman I actually think that we should combine the "Tone" and "Recording and Mixing" parts, as well as the "Performance" and "Technique" parts, since each component of either respective pair ties in with one another; So yeah, the new sections should be "Tone + Recording and Mixing" and "Performance and Technique"

And on a final note, overall GREAT tracks this month everyone, I really didn't expect this much of a turnout, it's gonna be a tough vote this time around...

MKylman
# 5
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/06/2007 6:16 pm
Deth - thanks for the feedback. You're right - nothing groundbreaking there!

To be truthful, I'm not sure about critting in that level of detail myself. I just listen and have a go for fun, and if I learn a bit so much the better. But thanks for taking the time! :)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 6
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
11/07/2007 12:01 pm
Oh man that wasn't what I meant!!! I was just in my analytical mode! I was trying to say how I liked your track despite the fact that you weren't overdoing it ^_^ I wasn't like "Oh yeah well your song is STUPID! It's not groundbreaking at all! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!"

To be honest I really don't like analyzing songs like this but I was giving Equator and Superhuman's thoughts a go...The thing is that if I really like a submission, like z0s0's, I will vote that way regardless of any of that crap...I mean in a lot of ways we just like music without really thinking of why...Your track was the one I was debating with against seazer and z0s0's ----_____----

MKylman
# 7
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/07/2007 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: dethm3talOh man that wasn't what I meant!!! I was just in my analytical mode! I was trying to say how I liked your track despite the fact that you weren't overdoing it ^_^ I wasn't like "Oh yeah well your song is STUPID! It's not groundbreaking at all! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!"

To be honest I really don't like analyzing songs like this but I was giving Equator and Superhuman's thoughts a go...The thing is that if I really like a submission, like z0s0's, I will vote that way regardless of any of that crap...I mean in a lot of ways we just like music without really thinking of why...Your track was the one I was debating with against seazer and z0s0's ----_____----

MKylman

It's cool mate, I understood exactly what you were saying & agreed with it, I wasn't upset at all. I was impressed you'd taken the time to review it in that depth! :)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 8
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
11/07/2007 8:56 pm
I know you know, I just felt like I was coming off like a condescending ass ^_^
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.