Softening Your Calluses

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/01/2007 1:34 pm
Hey there.. well this may sound a bit strange but I often find myself with really hard calluses that actually make it harder to play or at the very least, prevent me from achieving a certain style or tone. After playing for 4 to 6 hours every day, you will find that your calluses get too hard and also may get groove in them making it sometimes difficult to grab the string with the tips of your fingers sometimes. I thought that the harder the calluses, the better.. but you also need some grip at the tips of your fingers as well.

Anyway, when we shower each day our calluses naturally become more pliable and softer without losing any of their protective qualities. The water is absorbed into the skin and the layers of the callous meld together to become a nice, evenly saturated cushion of skin...not a hard, nylon-like, uneven layer of flat, dead skin. Whenever my fingers get like this during one my brutal practise sessions, here's what I do. I put down the guitar and then go and half-fill a hand basin with warm water... Basically the same temperature you would have a shower in.. which is not cold and not boiling.. then just hang your fingers in there for a few minutes, gently rubbing the calluses on your fingers with your thumbs. When you just begin to get that "pruned" finger look, it is time to take your hands out and immediately dry them with a soft towel. Now just let your fingers dry naturally for another 5 to 10 minutes.

Now.. grab the guitar again and notice how much more grip you are able to get with the tips of your fingers... I'm not really sure if this is the best thing to do.. it's just something I do so that I can get through a 4 to 6 hour practise session without losing my tone because of hard calluses.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
EPISODER
EPISODER
10/01/2007 2:32 pm
Sounds about right! :)
[FONT=Fixedsys]A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free![/FONT] ;)
# 2
akshay.orthofeet
akshay.orthofeet
01/12/2018 9:54 am

I have several foot issues (bunions, hammertoe, pronation, and neuroma) and it is hard to find a shoe that I can walk in all day. Well, finally I did! I have Orthofeet's grey and red pair and they look and feel terrific and have great arch support. Will definitely look in to purchasing another pair.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.