Lynyrd! Skynyrd!

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
10/23/2001 12:14 pm
Ok, i like Gnr, Aero, ZZ, Metallica, Snakepit and Poison!!
But i wana know how Lynyrd Skynyrd as so amazin yet they never get mentioned in the UK! True i dont have MTV but i read a lotta music magazines n surf the net n talk to mates, but no where did i find skynyrd!! I was in my record store and the shop keeper guy recomeded the in 1973 album, with free bird and simple man on it! WOW WOW WOW its so amazin!! Which makes me wonder!! Why arent they ultra famous!! ULTRA ULTRA!! like as big as GnR or Aerosmith? wot other albums would you guys recommend? or albums of the same style by other artists? Am annoyed cos i used to thing Aerosmith were the best and i would preach to everyone to get "get a grip" then it was GnR and "appatite for destruction" now its "lynyrd"!!

Later Axl
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/23/2001 10:21 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
Ok, i like Gnr

No **** Axl. :)

Visit http://pub69.ezboard.com/b2000intentions59743

Its a GnR message board like this place. I go there sometimes.

If you want a good Skynyrd album get The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd. Its like a greatest hits up until Ronnie van Zant died. I got it in HMV for a tenner theyll probably order it in for you. The best song is Tuesdays Gone I reckon. Good to see a like tasted person on the board though. Youve posted here before, must of been before I was here. Oh, and preaching Skynyrd is impossible. ive tried. Most people either say theyre crap and then put on their Blink 182 album or assume theyre crap and put on their Blink 182 album. Ive converted one person to the cause in 2 years.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
10/24/2001 2:15 pm
Yeah i have the "pronouced" skynyrd album, its amazin. I let all my mates hear free bird, tuesdays gone and simple man!! most arent impressed tho!
Are skynyrd still around? i read up on them, n heard about there tragedys from losin members.

Later Axl
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/24/2001 8:57 pm
Ronnie Van Zants brother Johnnie took over for a while its not the same though. Their best album w/ him is The Last Rebel. The title song is good.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 4
jarviss
jarviss
10/27/2001 5:21 am
skynyrd is toocool
i like all of it..
mostly.."pronounced"
i like the ones you listed
tuesdays gone
simple man
free bird
i also like "gimme 2 steps"
"gimme back my bullets"
and of course....

"THAT SMELL"
oooooooooh! that smell!
can't you smell that smell?!
well they call you prince charming....
can't speak a word when you're full of loods...
you say you'll be alright, come tomorrow...
but tomorrow, might not be here for YOU!

anyway, i could go on and on about skynyrd...but
now i gotta go dig out my CD's and give em alisten too.

thanks
-G

oh, they rock just because of the sheer guitar attack and solid songwriting skills.
the dual lead harmony lines and a good bottom end
blah blah blah
yay! skynyrd

yo
# 5
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
11/03/2001 5:58 pm
i've only heard free-bird + home sweet alabama but i still think they are ace and have learnt both of them (or at least tried to). free bird is truly awe inpiring and i rank it as the best guitar song of all time, joint first with stairway to heaven. respect is due!
Tandem Felix
# 6
vrnorman
vrnorman
11/05/2001 11:32 pm
Hey I live in the South (US) just a state away from Alabama. Skynard is a legend here. I can't say that there are any songs that I don't like, and there are other songs that i really love. Being a guitar picker myself, I would do anything to get into concerts to see them when they were in their prime. I saw them when they recorded Free Bird live in Atlanta. That song brings back memories every time I hear it.

Free Bird is a great tune I agree, but I am about to mess you up for real. There is another Southern Rock band called The Outlaws. Some of their music is rooted in country but the song "Green Grass and High Tides" is killer. It features three lead guitars and rivels most anyone that I have heard to date. To save you some time, just look for their greatest hits CD. It has all of their best stuff. Some of the songs you may write off as being too country in origin but listen all the way through as the songs kick into high gear after the countryish style opening. My bet is you will love their stuff.

Atlanta Rhythm Section is another great Southern band with heavy guitar mix'ed into some really laid back southern rhythm.

Hey, count me in as another huge Lynard Skynard fan.

Keep on rockin'!
Th'WOLF
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/05/2001 11:39 pm
Will do.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 8
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/05/2001 11:44 pm
That green grass song is 10 minutes long. Dammit.

Ill look for it at lunch tomorrow.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 9
vrnorman
vrnorman
11/05/2001 11:48 pm
Yeah, it is a long song....sorry.

Are you trying to download it?

Later!
Th'WOLF
# 10
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/05/2001 11:56 pm
No Ill buy the CD on your word so it better be good.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 11
vrnorman
vrnorman
11/06/2001 12:08 am
Hey,

I'll be suprised if you don't tell me it is at least in your top ten greatest guitar songs. I love SRV and have studied his stuff for years. I still consider Green Grass and High Tides the best of all times. It's killer man!

KeeponRockin'
Th'WOLF
# 12
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/07/2001 10:23 pm
I bought it today at lunch. Only Ā£5. Ive only listened to it passingly once but that green grass song is deadly! I know Ghost Riders In The Sky from somewhere aswell. Other than that it was all new. Good recommending, thanks.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 13
vrnorman
vrnorman
11/07/2001 11:01 pm
Always happy to turn a fellow guitar picker on to awsome/deadly stuff like Green Grass. If you listen you can pick out the three different guitars just by the slight difference in styles. It is rare that a group can come together with three equally talented guitarists and give each other the spotlight without trying to blow each other away.

You should have seen them live. I watched one of them rip a slide lead on the top three strings while playing a slight pentatonic scale on the bottom strings. I'm not really sure if those guys were from Earth. I think they landed on a farm somewhere here in the southern US, saw how people were dressed, copied them, and then formed the band. (Humor) HA!

I was curious to know if you were a Gary Moore fan? I believe he is from your part of the world. I had a tough time deciding wheather Stevie Ray Vaughan or Gary Moore really invented the modern blues guitar style. Gary is one hell of player. I listen to him everyday on my ride home from work. Wish I could find more stuff written about him. I am curious as to where he adopted his style(s). I hear Hendrix, Albert Collins, Albert King, but I would love to know all of his influences.

KeepOnRockin

PS...Ghostriders is an old American Western song from I believe the 1940's. They just updated with awsome guitar work.
Th'WOLF
# 14
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/07/2001 11:17 pm
Yeah hes from up north from where I live. He started off as a blues influenced rock guitarist in Thin Lizzy who were all influenced by Hendrix etc. Then in the 80s he made the switch to full-on blues and was mainly influenced by SRV at the time but also the others you mentioned. Hes influenced by Celtic music. He released a single, I think it was on a film soundtrack, I cant remember the title of the song but it has violins and guitar solos at the same time. Its mad.

Listen to Gary Moores cover of SRVs 'The Sky Is Crying'. Its much longer but is alot better. More emotional I reckon.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 15
vrnorman
vrnorman
11/07/2001 11:52 pm
Yeah I knew about the Thin Lizzy thing. That was really short lived though. I have never heard the Sky is Crying cover for SRV that he did though. Not sure where I would find it. As for the Celtic stuff, I think I know of one song for sure but the title escapes me.

His styles seem to vary between Fusion, Jazz, Blues, and Rock. At times I hear all three in a single song. I have become a big fan over the last year and always hunting for new (to me) stuff. Thw first song that I heard was Still Got the Blues, and that was it. I was an instant fan.

I am just happy to hear that there are other Gary fans out there. I have turned others on to his stuff and they say the same thing, WHERE DID THIS GUY COME FROM? WHY DON"T THEY PLAY HIM ON THE RADIO? I keep passing the word!

He has a new CD Back to the Blues just relesaed here not that long ago. It's good also.

Anything you can share about the guy, send it my way.

KeepOnRockin

Th'WOLF
# 16
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/08/2001 12:01 am
Try audiogalaxy.com

2 other great songs are Parisienne Walkways and Out In The Fields both with Phil Lynott. Both have great guitar especially Parisienne Walkways.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.