View post (The EQ.. friend or foe)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/25/2007 9:33 am
Hi

I have been playing guitar for around 16 years now and have had all sorts of effects, in single pedals and multi-effects stations, but one thing I have never really been able to "consistently" adjust on the effects and my amps is the EQ settings.

I realise that each individual playing style would dictate a different EQ setting but I just seem to randomly twist and fiddle around until it's almost how I want and then give up. What I usually end up with is a sound that when played softly sounds like it has the entire spectrum of sound but when played with a little more vigour, becomes very bass-ey. If I reduce the bass on the amp, then I am stuffed if I need to play a little softer.. if I reduce the bass on the pedal, the same thing applies.. I want a nice clear tone, whether playing distorted or clean, without any part of the sound (low, mid or high) getting out of control.

Is there some magical formula? Putting the amp settings at halfway for all the EQ and then adjusting the effects pedal settings makes sense.. but where do I go from there?

Thanks,
Luke

PS. My main inspiration for playing comes from David Gilmour (Pink Floyd).
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog