Tanglewood - Solid top, back and sides. Opinions please.

rhythm
rhythm
07/05/2007 12:35 am
I started playing 3 months ago on an Eko acoustic out in the middle east, but moved back home to my really crappy Admira classical (that buzzes) that I hate playing and as such have barely practiced ovet the last month (gutted). I need a new guitar to save my will to play. A guitar that I can play for a few years and not need to upgrade.

When looking to get an acoustic I was told that the best thing you can do to find a good guitar is try and get a solid wood top, back and sides or at least solid top piece. I walked into my local guitar store earlier today and asked the guy what the cheapest all solid wood acoustic he had was. He told me, quite enthusiastically, that he had a great Tanglewood for £320 ($630ish) with American Spruce top and African Mahogany back and sides. He told me that he thought it was the best guitar in this price bracket, as he said the next solid wood models he sold were Martins and Taylors and they were all over £800 ($1600). He then gave me the Pepsi challenge and told me to close my eyes. He played stairway to heaven on the Tanglewood and a solid Martin and asked me to spot the Martin. I did spot the Martin and it did sound better, very close though about 10% difference in my opinion, but he told me that that particular Martin he played was £1500 ($3000)! Certainly not £1200 ($2400) difference. I didnt even bother to hold the Martin as the price is waaay past my beginner's wallet (one day), but the Tanglewood was really nice in my hands, a thin neck being my personal preference.

My hands and ears were pleased by the Tanglewood (the only one I have had the chance to hold so far), and I may well get it although I will try others as I am not an impulse buyer. Even though we got on really well and he was just a low member of staff on a set wage the guy in the store was afterall a salesman. So what I was going to ask was do you think this sounds like a good deal for a solid wood? Does anybody have any comments on the spruce/mahogany combo? Good wood? Anybody here got experience of Tanglewoods? Opinions people. Thanks a mill in advance! :D
# 1
rhythm
rhythm
07/05/2007 7:11 pm
This is the link for it http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=26463178&sID=26465104
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.