Do not pump gas on May 15th

ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/10/2007 4:37 pm
There is an email going around with the following message. Who knows if this would have any effect or not, but it might be worth a shot to see what happens.

-----------------------------------

Do not pump gas on May 15th.

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.
Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, try not to go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

The average car takes about 20 to 30 dollars to fill up.

If everybody did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the oil industry for at least one day.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/10/2007 9:05 pm
No problem, my car is in the shop. I'm sure my dad will though... i mean its a commuting and construction combination thing. The three c's.

# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/10/2007 9:11 pm
Originally Posted by: ekstasis16In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.
Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

This is not true and these tactics simply don't work.

Overall demand remains the same so prices are not going to change. If you want reduced gas prices, then we need to increase the supply (more refineries) or reduce demand (don't drive so much, sell your SUV in favor of a minivan or a car, demand more fuel-efficient vehicles and be prepared to sacrifice performance for it, etc).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/10/2007 9:28 pm
yeah, to a multi-billion dollar company, a one day of lost sales isn't going to have any impact at all. Even if it did, all they'd do is raise the prices to cover the losses.
Face it... they've got you by the you know whats, and they know it.
# 4
strat-man
strat-man
05/10/2007 9:36 pm
$3.00 a gallon heh? don't come to the UK then or you'll be payin the equivalent of $9.00 :mad:
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/10/2007 10:24 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeyeah, to a multi-billion dollar company, a one day of lost sales isn't going to have any impact at all. Even if it did, all they'd do is raise the prices to cover the losses.

Yeah I wanted the same thing... save it'd be less articulated due to my brain being quite pickled and then I'd just sound like a douche.

In fact, if my car wasn't in the shop i'd make sure to pump gas. And I'd go into a little rant, but that last sentence there is a good example why I didn't say anything... I'm not very diplomatic I'm just a refined meany head.

# 6
quickfingers
quickfingers
05/10/2007 11:26 pm
i honestly go into this argument every day over someone else that posts this garbage on myspace, ect.

most of them just dont get it....

look at it this way. aside from all the wonderful things said above me, theres just this simple fact: if you dont buy it the 15th, you'll buy it the 16th, or the 17th. i mean, face it. unless we fill our tanks with biodiesel or pig **** on the 15th, we're still gonna have to pay for our driving time on the 15th the old-fashioned way.

here's an idea...how about instead of a "no gas day", we have a RIDE YOUR GAWDAMN BIKE day.

christ alive, people. its not a difficult concept. gas prices go up like crazy in the summer and go back down in the winter, steadilly getting more and more expensive. its called product inflation, and more than that, its called "we can charge whatever-the-hell we want for this and you'll still buy it".
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
05/10/2007 11:39 pm
Look familiar?
10 characters in white eh
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/11/2007 12:51 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeyeah, to a multi-billion dollar company, a one day of lost sales isn't going to have any impact at all. Even if it did, all they'd do is raise the prices to cover the losses.

Exactly.

As long as we keep driving the amount that we do, they keep moving the same amount of product; they'll just sell more on the 13th and 14th (to the people who top off to make sure they've got enough to get through the 15th and then on the 16th and 17th to the people who're now running on fumes and need to fill up again. All we'd be doing is moving one days sales to the days immediately before and after it.

Hell, they big oil companies wouldn't even notice a blip in their bottom lines because they sell their gasoline to distributors who sell it to gas stations who then sell it to you.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.