View post (Who is the rhythm section?)

View thread

PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
03/30/2007 7:32 am
I don't know about you guys, but one of the more difficult parts of being in a band for me has been determining who is going to get the rhythm and who is going to get the more harmonious 'part' at a given time.

It's between me and the bass player--after all, there's no one else. Sometimes he wants to be Jack Bruce and get all crazy with power chords, riffs, etc. And other times I want to be like Flea and just step all into his sonic terrain. So, coordinating who does what at what time is always tough.

Like, I mean, if you come up with a really cool E7 vamp over a particular part, but your singer is singing stuff that a more fleshed out and extended chord would compliment well--it looks like you have to just port your cool vamp over to the bassist. Sometimes I get attached to little ditties, as I think we all do.

Anyone else ever have this problem/situation?
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.