View post (Trey Anastasio, Les Claypool, & Stewart Copeland...The new Cream?)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/20/2002 4:59 pm
I was at Oysterhead's first public jam a couple of years ago. It was interesting to watch, but to be honest Trey was playing a lot of nothing at a very high speed which basicly cancelled out the supurb grooves that Les and Stuart were generating. Larry LaLonde (Primus' guitarist) came back on and the whole jam came together very quickly. Having heard some studio Oysterhead (they have an mp3 up on www.oysterhead.com), I have to say they've shaped up, but it's still my least favorite Claypool project. I'd much rather spend my money on Col Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade's second CD. Though I find the keyboardist kinda annoying, the band as a whole kicks ass.

What I like most about Oysterhead is that it's a three peice and breathes rather well. Though it doesn't sound that way on the studio tracks, Oysterhead is capable of filling A LOT of sonic space, but can easily bring things down to a minimum avoiding the "stuffy" feeling a lot of larger bands can put out.

On a side note, Oysterhead is pro-taping, so if you ask around you can probably trade for a live bootleg pretty easily.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons