View post (String ease)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
02/24/2007 12:39 am
Originally Posted by: 40ftsmurfI don't like to use it because it's the oils that get into the grooves on the strings that cause strings to loose their brilliancy. I figure the more stuff you put on the strings the sooner the grooves in the windings will fill up with gunk and the strings will wear out sooner.

Eh, a large part of string aging is the oxidation process... Which is accelerated by acidic oils from your fingers... By keeping a thin layer of neutral oil on the strings such as Fast Fret and Finger Ease it actually acts as a barrier between these oils and the strings... It makes the strings easier to clean as well... Wipe the guitar down after you play and it removes most of the bad oils and gunk where as when you just wipe the guitar down with a rag some of the oils will stick to the guitar... The string lube acts kind fo like a carrier for the dirt at this stage... where the oils will cling to the string lube rather than the string itself... Then when you wipe away the string lube the bad oils will go with it... It's suppose to prolong string life this way. That's what the manufacturers say. I haven't used it consistantly enought to prove this right or wrong though.

Besides, I'm lazy... if I were that worried about it I'd just buy Elixer strings which do about the same thing by having a thin layer over the string to protect them.