View post (What do you think about rap?)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
09/25/2001 4:04 am
Originally posted by James
But the question that everyone who likes rap has to ask themselves is, do they truly like rap or do they just like the image that rap gives them, or how it makes them fit in with peers.

Yeah James, I know a lot of people who feel like that now. However, for a lot of people, there's something about the music that really describes how they feel, and what's going inside their head. Rap music, it's very compelling for certain types of people, however I've never really shown much interest in that genre.

But that doesn't mean that I don't respect what these artists have to offer to this industry. There are a lot of sincere rap artists that has came onto the scene over the past few years but still their image seems to over power what people really think about them.

I think for a lot of people, they are afraid to analyze what they're listenng to, and what they are getting into. I think that when it comes to music, we should just all take a step back an come to terms with who we are. Deciding if we really like it, or if we have created a unique fixation based on the beliefs of others and how it makes us feel.

So the answer to the question would be is rap crap, well that's a matter of opinion, and taste. Obviously, thi music is capable of helping people come to terms with their feelings, and it's not just the lyrics, but it's also the sounds. Hey all the power to those who appreciate rap music, however I just wish that there were more singers today who combined their talents with rock music. It's just that it seems that because of peoples laziness today, they would much rather rap a mile a minute on the microphone, instead of trying to carry a note.

I wish more musicians had the courgage today to sing, instead of annoying us with their attempts at rap. For somne people, rap music is inside their soul, but for a lot of reasons today, there are too many people who rap as a defensive reaction. Becausetheir voice isnlt up to par, where they inevitably end up defeating the overall purpose of being creative.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."