Slipknot's new album

strummonster
strummonster
09/22/2001 6:02 am
Hello fellow guitarists, it's the strummonster.
I've got a question for all you veteran guitarists. What do you think about Slipknot's new album. Personally i think the guitarists suck. All there stuff was so easy it's not even funny. I'm not even able to laugh at them. Actually I pitty them. That album just plain out sucked!!!!!
Chris Ponce
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/22/2001 6:10 am

Slipknot isn't really about the guitar playing. It's about drum beats, hideous masks, and vomiting on stage . . . not to mention putrid, decaying flesh and rotting cow heads.

So yeah, I guess they do suck.
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
09/22/2001 7:42 pm
I bet your another one of these people who doesnt listen to bands because they only use chords or whatever. And let me guess, youre a big Van Halen fan, right? And Steve Vai is god, of course.

The guitarists in Slipknot are actually pretty good, Id say there alot better than you in fact. Now Im not exactly a Slipknot an myself, in fact I hate them but its attitudes like yours that make me spring to their defence.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 3
trendkillah
trendkillah
09/22/2001 11:36 pm
I agree with Led Zeppelin here.

Slipknot is good at what they do, nobody ever claimed them to be the best musicians/band there is out there. They are good at what they do, and that is playing/writing catchy yet awfully aggressive music. They put on a good live show too and have a stage presence most bands can only dream of.
One thing though, I doubt that this band would have become so famous without the whole mask thing, it's gimmicky, but it seems to sell.
Their music isn't really intersting at all to me though, and their guitarists might not be the best in the world, but did they ever claim to be?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I find it odd how some people put an awful lot of energy in bashing bands, with pretty ridiculous reasons.

Greetz, TK
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/23/2001 11:18 am
hmmm... i think i agree with trendkilah (although if you've ever heard the clown talk, you'll see that he thinks he's god)...
I dont really like the music, but the way the drummer and the percusionist play is pretty damn ace...
What surpises me is, what used to be bizzar and alternative yesterday, is now just packaged, labelled and advertised it's way into the number one slot. The music industry at the minute isn't that healthy, it geared too much towards making money (there's nothing wrong with making money, but there need to be some limits to keep the industry healthy), and so you get bands who are just just jumping on the agresive crap bandwagon (like Mudvane, god they ARE AWFUL).
# 5
love_that_glow
love_that_glow
09/23/2001 3:52 pm
Slpiknot are all pretty decent musicians, and that kind of guitar music is not really about how fast you can play or how technical you are, but its more about creating a musical atmosphere.Personally, I think Slipknot are Boll*cks
and that whole masks thing is just pathetic,I,d have a lot more respect for them if they took of the masks and just concentrated on the music instead of their image.
Love_that_glow

"I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane" The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
# 6
guitargod420
guitargod420
09/24/2001 12:30 am
All I GOT TO SAY IS SLIPKNOT FU#KIN ROCKS DUDE YEA THERE GUITARPLAYERS ARE NOT ALL THAT GREAT BUT THERE NOT A GUITAR DRIVEN BAND THERE A HEAVY METAL BAND AND INFACT THE BEST NEW METAL BAND TO COME OUT IN A LONG TIME. AND NOW FOR THE WHOLE MASK THING MOST PEOPLE DONT LIKE SLIPKNOT BECAUSE OF THERE MASK'S IT DID NOT HELP THEM IN ANYWAY AND THE BEST THING ABOUT SLIPKNOT IS THERE ORIGINAL
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
09/24/2001 9:32 pm
Actually most people hate Slipknot because of their music.

www.gnr.com.ar
# 8
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/25/2001 9:54 am
which is why it surpises me that their album got to number 1!
# 9
shug
shug
09/27/2001 1:26 pm
i read an interview with their guitarists, and as it happens tthey both claim to be ex shredders so.............
# 10
Vlahos
Vlahos
10/03/2001 2:58 pm
I agree with Led Zepplin and trendkilla

Slipknot are not about the percussion or how good the guitar licks are or the vocal quality. They are showmen. They are a revolution for there style of music. I hate bands like slipknot but they arent there to be classed as musicians. They are there to be ranked on performance and 2 years ago, you could say that they were excellent performers because you couldnt find (or there were very few) slipknot CD's or video's in the shops cause they were all sold out. So we should stop wasting our time in comparing the skills of the players in korn, slipknot, linkin park and other forms such as these because it is a waste of time for people that like them, and people that hate them. The are not musicians, they are performers.

By the way Led Zepplin, Vai is God!!!!
# 11
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/04/2001 8:55 pm
Originally posted by Vlahos
By the way Led Zepplin, Vai is God!!!!

Debateable is all Ill say.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 12
Snacktruck
Snacktruck
10/05/2001 3:12 am
slipknot is pretty cool, but how do you figure out the chords for the songs? do you have to play it backwards or something? iv'e tried but iv'e failed because i try to hard to figure out the chords.

...... and yes, steve vai is a god, and satriani.
# 13
Vertigo
Vertigo
10/05/2001 9:16 am
Slipknot is awesome (IF you like the style)...

if you don't like that style...you'll hate it.

i like it, when i'm in the correct mood...

and off course...the guitarists aren't that special...but i don't care...

What is really dislike is, that people like Malmsteen and Vai and so on are called gods.

they are NOTHING!

they just bring out albums so they can show off their guitar-abilitys. i know...they're some of the best guitar-players around, but they're not the greatest musicians!

i don't think they care much about the music, they only care about how cool they sound going up and down scales redicilously fast...

ok ok...i might have gone a little too far by saying this, but it was on my mind...
- Vertigo

# 14
berserk5002001
berserk5002001
10/01/2005 4:37 am
Whoa what are you guys talking about? Slipknot's guitarist not be that good? I'm sorry you guys are crazy, I may not be a big fan of their new album but I don't see very many other players doing some of the crazy insane riffs they do, their pinch harmonics are insane in their tunings, this killer sound is mind blowing, and you say that they suck? Maybe my ears are messing with me, but their sound is insanely crazy, probably one of the best metal bands that's kept metal breathing. Personally their stuff is great period.

~Skitch
# 15
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
10/01/2005 4:44 am
Umm...why do some people insist on bringing back topics from FOUR YEARS AGO?!?!?! :confused:
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/01/2005 5:42 am
Originally Posted by: berserk5002001Whoa what are you guys talking about? Slipknot's guitarist not be that good? I'm sorry you guys are crazy, I may not be a big fan of their new album but I don't see very many other players doing some of the crazy insane riffs they do, their pinch harmonics are insane in their tunings, this killer sound is mind blowing, and you say that they suck? Maybe my ears are messing with me, but their sound is insanely crazy, probably one of the best metal bands that's kept metal breathing. Personally their stuff is great period.

~Skitch

Congratulations! No one on this forum is ever going to take your musical opinion seriously ever again!

Edit: Also something can't really be "insanely crazy."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/01/2005 5:54 am
Slipknot's not metal. Pinch harmonics are incredibly easy when you tune your guitar down 2 1/2 steps and if the music ends up on the radio (despite the band's previous attitude) then there's not really anything insane about it. Slipknot has gone places because of their image, whether they intended that or not, their image has played a huge roll in their success simply because bands cannot escape the image side. Even rebelling against image causes an image. It's just the nature of the beast. Now I'm going to go listen to real metal.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 18
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/01/2005 7:50 am
all gimmick...bull****...no soul....but the guy who plays a keg is cool!! NOT...
god was a little sloppy but incredibly good at what he does...therefore jimmy page is GOD :D
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 19
quickfingers
quickfingers
10/01/2005 5:48 pm
i bought the ablum a few weeks ago because i heard pulse of the maggots and duality. that was enough for me. amazing songs, and incredible guitar playing. for peopel who havent heard it, you cant judge this album from their previous two. its almost like tehy listened to the musicians and metalheads bitching about guitar solos and catchy riffs, and they listened. while they still play in drop A and all that nu metal drab, im in love with this album. it has songs i think alot can relate to, not just mallrat goth kids. while alot of the slipknot fanbase are immature 16 year old hot topic followers, that doesnt mean you should judge the band on their demographic. i mean, van halen plays in sports arenas. thats about as un-metal as ive ever heard.

anywho, to my surprise, the guitarists rip out the chops on a number of songs. theyve even focused some songs around their blazing riffs. while not entirely hard as they are fast, the lead riffs definitely kick ass. i like this album so much becuase its the kindof lead that i like the most; blaitant, mind numbingly fast shred. while i do have a joe satriani album, and i do like it, i dont ever want to hear joe satriani solos. after a while it sounds like elevator music to me. i love these shred licks, they fit perfect and are a perfect addition to completely chaotic riffs.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.