String life

polansky
polansky
01/19/2007 7:05 am
Ok, it just happens that I try to get the most out of my strings, clean them as soon as I put down my axe and so...

MAybe is the cornerstone newbie question but... how long should a set last? :confused:

My seven string guitar strings lasted ages... I replaced them maybe 5 months ago (I shouldn't say that I can hear the mocking coming)...

But seriously... should I replace them as soon as they loose the shine or wait till they brake to add a whole new set (I never put a new string with old ones).

And please... don't laught at me, at least not in here, you can do it in the privacy of you own home. :(

By the way I use d'addarios 10 gauge in all my guitars except from my Dean with FR... that would use 9 gauge.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 1
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 7:07 am
I would wait till they start to lose their tone...but I hardly ever get to that point cuz I have corrosive hands and end up breaking up.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 2
polansky
polansky
01/19/2007 7:11 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI have corrosive hands and end up breaking up.

Me too.... sometimes my fingers sweat like a pig and sometimes... well they don't, go figure.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2007 5:48 pm
It depends on what you're using them for.
Live... I'd change em every night cause you never know what the previous nights playing has done. Studio, it depends on whether you're recording scratch tracks or 'performance level'. You can use the same set of strings for almost a year if you want but when you go to record them, get a new set so you get the best sound you possibly can.
(the exception being if dull sounding strings are part of your sound... there's been many times when I've loaded up a new set of strings and been disappointed because the lead I was playing was based on an old set of strings)
# 4
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
01/19/2007 5:53 pm
I try to wash my hands before i play, if possible. It helps gets some of the oils and whatnot off your hands. It seems to work for me. For me, I find that if the guitar sounds weak and dull unplugged, it might be time to change the strings. New strings should have a nice bright tone when you play the guitar unplugged. Just my 2 cents
# 5
strat-man
strat-man
01/19/2007 10:05 pm
I tend to give em a wipe down after playin and i also use 'fast fret' to prevent corrosion, my strings last a while, i just replace em when the tone starts to go.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 6
ren
ren
01/22/2007 11:36 am
The guitars I use live get their strings changed every week... the others when they need it like the others said.

I use Fast Fret as well....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
Drew77
Drew77
01/22/2007 6:59 pm
I don't play gigs yet, I am still getting good, so i dont usually change them for as much as six months, I use elixirs and I beat on them pretty good, I have only broken one string on my new guitar so far... Thats becasue it hadn't been adjusted in a while. I find though that I start to hate the sound of my amp and stuff though after I while, thats usually when I change them. It is normally the problem. I need to get a better ear for tone I think. :)
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
01/22/2007 8:09 pm
Like everyone else has said....... it usually depends on what you want to do with the guitar...

I, personally... prefer to record and play live on strings that have been broken in well past the stage of still being called "new".

1. Because that's when the strings get the best tone...
2. They become easier to play after they've been broken in. They tend to lose that slipperyness.
3. I like worn in strings because they get a better warm tone generally... Newer strings will sound bright until they've approached the modulus of elasticity (engineering mode... sorry)... Strings stretch continuously as they're always under tension... That's why they go out of tune a lot when they're new... Because the metal has never been under tension and it's stretching at a high rate... Once the strings approach the modulu of elasticity... or the apex or their elasticity... the metal slowly stops stretching... Until eventually the apex/modulus of elasticity is reached and the string snaps... usually at the bridge or the nut.

Those are the main reason I like to break my strings in. Sometimes I'll leave a set on my backup guitars for 8 months at a time since I don't use it all the time... my main guitars usually get a string change every few shows or every month if I don't play any shows or record... it usually take a good ten hours of play to really work a set of strings into shape for me... I use Zakk Wylde GHS Boomers .10-.62 or whatever the E string is... A heavy set... so naturally they take longer than a light set of strings would to break in.

Remember to always stretch your strings when you install them... this will speed the process of breaking them in and will help them stay in tune longer...

Also... some people that only have one guitar or only play one guitar have a hard time telling when their strings go sour because the process is so slow that they don't notice it as it's happening... But they'll notice it right away when they play a guitar that has fresh strings... or when they jam with someone else who CAN hear the sour strings... It's always a good idea to keep on a string changing schedule regardless whether you play shows or record... Just so you can ensure that your ears and strings are playing a joke on you by making you think everything sounds like it should.
# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/22/2007 9:48 pm
Check out Elixir strings www.elixirstrings.com/ , they have a gortex coating which reduces acid erosion from sweat and increases the life of the string significantly. They also feel nice to play. I have a set on one of my axes and havent had to change them for 6 months so far.
# 10
polansky
polansky
01/23/2007 3:58 am
Pretty cool advice... thanks to all, I like my d'addarios a lot, they fell pretty goos to me but I've been thinking of the DR balck beautys or red devils, elixir are a bit hard to get in Mexico but I've seen a couple of places to buy them... maybe I'll give em a try soon.
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/23/2007 4:09 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanCheck out Elixir strings www.elixirstrings.com/ , they have a gortex coating which reduces acid erosion from sweat and increases the life of the string significantly. They also feel nice to play. I have a set on one of my axes and havent had to change them for 6 months so far.

Buhuhuhuhu, I hate those strings. :(

I agree with aschelman though, I perfer strings that have been played on for a few days rather than just installed (after streching them by hand and what not.)
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 12
polansky
polansky
01/23/2007 4:12 pm
I get that strings should "settle down" a bit, by normal use may take a day or two of use a couple of bends and stuff, but... they can be streched in other way besides a couple of days of natural use?. :confused:

And another question... cleaning products... In order to remove the natural grease and sweat I guess you may need some kind of solvent (maybe not thinner or nail polish remover of course) but perhaps something alcohol based in order to remove those oils eficently.

My point is... I have the idea that this products may "dry" your strings, making them easier to break. It's that only my perception? or this products are a usefull way to keep em sounding right and of course, lasting longer in better shape?
# 13
ren
ren
01/23/2007 4:23 pm
To wear my strings in, I sit bending every string up as far as I can at each fret between 5 and 17 ish, and repeat until there's no movement - it doesn't take very long really.

Fast fret will keep your strings and fretboard cleaner, which will prolong string life. I tend to just wipe the boards clean when I change the strings with a bit of water - just a little bit on a cloth... not sure if it's right, but after 20 years of playing I've yet to do any damage... I've never used solvents. I used to use lemon oil as I recall, but I ran out and used water instead with no worries...

What makes your strings break (aside from dodgy saddles etc) is sweat corroding them and the stretching making them thinner over time, and hence weaker. Strings are a consumable - they break.... buy more....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 14
aschleman
aschleman
01/23/2007 4:30 pm
String lubes like Fast Fret coat the string with an oil that isn't corrosive... creating a barrier from any kind of corrosive acids or oils from hand. It's kind of hard to "dry" metal out considering the water content is very very very very miniscule... on an atomic level... haha. But yeah, I understand your concern and the answer is no... The string lubes will not cause the strings to break earlier... They will extend the life of the strings by slowing the rusting and pitting process... They also make the strings a bit faster to play.

Stretching:
A step in the string changing process that most people skip or don't even realize exists is the step where you try to relieve in stored energy within the strings. Most people strap the strings on and go... and they experience a few days where their strings will stay in tune for about 5 minutes then slowly go flat... This is because the strings are stretching... To help the strings break themselves in I always get the strings in tune... Then I slide my finger underneath the string and pull straight up (away from the body of the guitar) and wiggle it around.... When it's pulled away from the guitar I then move it from side to side (parallel to the guitar).... I do that to each strings a few times... after I do all six strings I will retune and do it again... Until the strings start to stay in tune while you're stretching them... Then you know the stored energy within the strings molecular structure has been released. Some people don't like to do this because They like choose to work teh strings in naturally... However, when you have to change a set of strings and play a live set in an hour... you'll wish you had. You'll be retuning after each song.

I do it everytime I change strings. It also helps the strings to sit in my bridge saddles... Sometime when you install a set of strings a string may not be seated properly on the bridge... and as you tighten the string it will create a pinch point often times affecting the tone and in some cases causes buzzes and premature string breakage. Stretching the strings works the string around in the bridge saddles so the string can find the proper place to sit. It also may correct any issues that the string ends may have in their position in the bridge as well... Sometime the string ends may sit at an angle and shift with a certain type of movement that causes tuning instability... Stretching ensures that the string is seated properly as well.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.