View post (Your Local)

View thread

capohead
capohead
09/24/2005 6:30 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyNo offense to like everyone, but i'm sick of hearing this condescending type attitude towards american beer. There is no such thing as a sophisticated beer. Beer is for the working man, in my opinion, so why be all pretentious about it. I mean really, its just beer. Some people like American beer, some like canadian, some like mexican, some like european, you get the idea. I frankly don't care as long as I get drunk.

Oh dear, I didn't realise you were that touchy about your beer :)

I think your final comment says it all for me - "as long as I get drunk". Now that's the difference between us. Beer is not always for getting drunk. It is for being drunk.

Beer can be a very sophisticated product when you fill it full of gas and chemicals like most American beers and many British lagers. They'll get you drunk without a doubt but I simply don't enjoy drinking them as they become a means to an end.

A good simple cask conditioned beer (which do exist in the States) can be savoured and appreciated. It's enough just to have a couple of pints of London Pride without needing another 5.

Cheers

Dick
Where The Skeletons Dance CD available here.
From another Plaice CD available here.
Listen & buy single tracks from Tricks Upon Travellers here
My other tracks here