laptops and guitars

polansky
polansky
01/05/2007 2:46 am
I just bought a MacBook Pro laptop :D and I'm planning to use it with my POD XT live for recording some stuff in Garageband... my question is:

As far as I know, computers must be away from amps (you know... a electromagnetic storage device like the hard drive sitting near from a huge speaker magnet is NOT a good thing...)

Am I right?... cause the other day browsing thru a guitar world magazine or something like that saw an add (I think of Digitech, but I'm not sure), and the photo illustrating the USB conectivity of the pedalboard shows this guy sitting with his laptop ON THE TOP OF HIS AMP... :eek:

I'm a bit of a computer geek, but maybe I'm missing something bout amps that I don't know... :confused:

Please help.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 1
halo71
halo71
01/05/2007 1:25 pm
You CAN sit the laptop on top of an amp with know problems. A guy I played with last year would sit his on top of his amp and record. I forget the program he used to record with though.
# 2
polansky
polansky
01/05/2007 3:52 pm
I mean I'm asking cause I really don't know but it seems like one of those No-No things to do with your computer. (also i have to admit that now that my computer is new I manage it like holding a newborn baby :D )
# 3
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
01/05/2007 4:18 pm
Laptops put out very little if any electromagnetic interferance.

Old tube monitors and TV's on the other hand are HEAVY at interferance.

I have a POD XT and on my laptop I have no problem recording, but on my desktop I actually have to work at sheilding the POD and Monitor to avoid interferance. (Old lead jackets from X-Ray rooms work good.

Anyhow, you should have no problem setting your laptop on your amp, as I do and have no problem, exept that it can fall of ;)

Jeff
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 4
polansky
polansky
01/05/2007 7:17 pm
I understand the electromagnetic interference issue, I think maybe a directv antena could cause more interference (in sound quiality point of view), what really worries me is the badass magnet on the amp speaker and if it could erase my hard drive...

But thanks anyway I'm restig on this issue, if anyone has other opinion please let me know.

Thanks
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/05/2007 7:21 pm
dude, if you dont want to put the laptop on the amp, dont do it... simple as that.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
polansky
polansky
01/05/2007 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91dude, if you dont want to put the laptop on the amp, dont do it... simple as that.

Rock...It's not like that... I just wanna know if I can in a given situation (play a sampler or drum patter on a gig in a small place perhaps).
# 7
halo71
halo71
01/05/2007 7:30 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91dude, if you dont want to put the laptop on the amp, dont do it... simple as that.

rockonn91 is right! If you dont believe what any of us is telling you, then dont do it. But I can assure you the magnet wont erase your hard drive by simply putting your laptop on top of the amp! I have had my laptop sitting on top of one of my Crate 4x12 cabinets many times looking at sheet music. Never had any issues. And those are 4 BIG magnets on 4 speakers!
# 8
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/05/2007 7:33 pm
Originally Posted by: polanskyRock...It's not like that... I just wanna know if I can in a given situation (play a sampler or drum patter on a gig in a small place perhaps).

yeah, I feel ya. and I know what you mean, you dont want your new laptop messing up... but those things arnt cheap. they shouldnt be effected unless you're like, rubbing it all over the magnets themselves, which is unlikely.

itttsss aalll gooooood maaannn. go make some music. :cool:
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 9
polansky
polansky
01/05/2007 7:40 pm
Guys, I'm sorry I guess I'm being a bit anal retentive on this topic, I asked and should listen to whom have the experience.

And you will laught at me if you saw my amp... :( Laney HarcoreMax 30 watt...

Thanks for the input
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/06/2007 1:41 am
Check my profile....

I haven't run any tests to model the situation you're asking about, but I suspect you have more reason to worry about the vibration upsetting your computer than the effects of magnetic interference from the speakers. A large transformer might be a problem, though, so I would avoid parking a laptop on large tube amps, just in case.

And a Windows system will crash at the most inconvenient times, even without outside provocation, yes? ;)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
polansky
polansky
01/06/2007 6:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings And a Windows system will crash at the most inconvenient times, even without outside provocation, yes? ;)

Amen bro...
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2007 8:55 pm
If LATS says its OK that is good enough for me !!

I would think your HDD would be quite heavily shielded which would protect it from magnetic interference however if you are at all nervous, don't do it.

From a recording stand point Id experiment with the best places to put things to minimize noise. You should be able to make some lovely recordings with a MacBookPro. Best of luck !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 13
BluesHound9
BluesHound9
01/13/2007 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: polanskyRock...It's not like that... I just wanna know if I can in a given situation (play a sampler or drum patter on a gig in a small place perhaps).
I have my tower right next to my amp(fender 4x10) and have had no problems. If I'm not mistaking, Your concern it is that the magnets from the amp may damage your computer. I do know that if a strong enough magnet is used you can erase if not damage the hard drive but the magnets from an amp probably won't do that. Unless that is, you are playing in front of a wall of marshall cabs. :) That may be an issue. Other than that I would'nt worry about it.
# 14
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
01/15/2007 3:38 pm
Hi there... serious computer geek here. We're talking 14 years, 2 degrees, 10+ certifications, and a myriad of positions, the present one being a regional IT manager for one of the largest engineering firms in the US.

/dismount high horse

I bragged about who I am just so I could hopefully put your mind to rest about this little question you have and you'll believe that it's an authoritative answer.

For your hard drive to incur electromagnetic damage from your cabinet speakers, the magnet of the speaker would have to be directly on top of the hard drive. Not the case of the laptop where the hard drive is, DIRECTLY on top of the hard drive. Even then, with the hard drive sitting exposed directly on top of the magnet, it's not a guaranteed that the hard drive is going to suffer damage. Even when we destroy hard drives, we have a huge magnet that we set on top of the drive and THEN we hit it with an electro magnetic pulse that basically turns the magnetic field on and off rapidly so that the plates inside the hard drive’s casing pull together and cause permanent damage. If you can put a piece of metal on top of the amp or cabinet and move it with no resistance from the magnet, don’t worry about it.

Finally, I put my laptop on top of my amp all the time. If that’s not reason enough, I don’t know what to tell ya. Good luck.
# 15
polansky
polansky
01/15/2007 9:58 pm
Guys... seriouslly. thanks a lot to everyone who has posted and answer, GT forums rock, cause you can get so much info in no time.

Hope someday I can help some of you guys with some question... meanwhile, well I guess I'll just keep asking... :D

This is the coolest comunity ever.

Rock on (and you can use your laptop while doing it!!!) :cool:
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.