help with set list

polansky
polansky
01/03/2007 12:32 am
My former band is getting toghether again but this time I'm leaving the drum throne and I'm gonna be playing guitar (it's going to be an acustic guitar trio playing covers and some original stuff).

I'm just starting and the other 2 guys have more than 15 years playing, but we all must give ideas for the set list.

We would like to arrange the songs to a acustic set like Ben Harper did with "in your eyes" by Peter Gabriel

Any suggestions for some rocking songs to play?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2007 4:48 am
I love version of that song...

Some other killer songs that are good acoustic are "The Drugs Don't Work" by The Verve... but Ben Harper does a killer version of that as well... One song that I've been playing a lot of of acoustic is "I'll Be Here Awhile" by 311... the acoustic version is pretty cool especially if you have two vocalists. "Livin On A Prayer" is a good one to play acoustic as well... Pretty much any song can be adapted into an acoustic version.... Those are some of my favorites to play besides alot of Dave Matthews, John Mayer, and Jack Johnson type stuff..... Or some older stuff like Cortez, The Killer... I love playing that song with my friends... a killer song to jam to!!
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/03/2007 12:22 pm
There are a number of exceptional Beatles songs done acoustically on the soundtrack for 'I am Sam'. The version of 'Help' is really solid. It's slowed waaay down and it sounds great. Another one to check out for ideas is 'Paint it Blue' were a lot of blues powerhouses do covers of Rolling Stones songs. Some acoustic and some electric, but all good.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
polansky
polansky
01/03/2007 3:51 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60 'Paint it Blue' were a lot of blues powerhouses do covers of Rolling Stones songs.

I would like more "paint it black" actually, but it was helpfull anyway. :D

Yesterday I was checking my Ipod for Ideas and run into a great one... Bjork's Army of me, she did a fund raiser for the tsunami victims It's and entire CD only with Army of me in several versions by a lot of bands (all unsigned I think) cause you could submit your version in a contest, I love the one that a band called Interzone did, this one really heavy and metal-like, but it struck me.."Hell yeah....It could be a great acustic version".

As you can see the plan it's take really well known songs and make versions of them, not to play them as a propper cover song, we want to people to hear the song and maybe in the first bars they won't get the song inmediately but the shock after a few lirics or maybe some key chords they realize and go like.. :eek: "shoot, it that (here goes the name of the song)?"

Keep those ideas coming, it doesn't matter if it's allready an acoustic version or any song that you think might fit.

Thanks
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/03/2007 6:10 pm
Serenity by Godsmack.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2007 8:07 pm
Cover Me - Candlebox
Send The Pain Below - Chevelle
Sober - Tool (see Staind acoustic version)
Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
Rooster, Down in a Hole, Them Bones, Angry Chair, Nutshell, Brother... etc - Alice In Chains
Stillborn - Black Label Society (See Zakk's acoustic version....)
Hoochie Coochie Man - Any of the millions of versions
Crossroads - Cream
Wasteland - 10 years (see their acoustic version)

A few songs that I like to play when the crowd gets bored... and mostly for fun... at mostly my cost of embarrassment... It's fun though...

Dancing With Tears In Our Eyes - Damien Rice (just listen to the song to see why it's so funny........ very 80's-ish)
Time After Time - Whoever sang it... I think cindy Lauper... Very funny song to do at a party... and always gets the crowd going...
Total Eclipse of the Heart - Whoever sang it... I do "The Dan Band" Version.... with cuzz words...
Don't Stop Believing - Journey... gets'em going everytime... especially the ladies...

When I saw the Foo Fighters acoustic show at The Roosevelt Theater in Chicago Dave talked about the first acoustic song he'd ever written and how it was about Kris and Kurt.... When he was telling the story of how he met Kurt and how he came about writing the song I got chills... Definitely one of the most powerful moments I've witnessed at a concert... and I don't like Kurt Cobain that much... But the sheer history of what he was speaking of stuck with me... The song is called "Friend of a Friend" and I play that quite a bit too... I awlays explain to the crowd what the song means and who it's baout and that seems to peak the interest of quite a bit of people... I try to recreate that moment that I got chills for the crowd the best I can...

There's some songs that I like to throw into my sets...
# 6
polansky
polansky
01/03/2007 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanCover Me - Candlebox
Sober - Tool (see Staind acoustic version)
Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
Rooster, Down in a Hole, Them Bones, Angry Chair, Nutshell, Brother... etc - Alice In Chains .[/QUOTE]

That my man aschelman... in the words of Samuel Jackson on Pulp fiction "Just hit the spot"

[QUOTE=aschleman] Dancing With Tears In Our Eyes - Damien Rice (just listen to the song to see why it's so funny........ very 80's-ish)
Time After Time - Whoever sang it... I think cindy Lauper .

Well, that ones I'll put in the emergency list, but the singer says he want to do the Cindy Lauper one since day 1, so now you get the idea of the kind of gig I'm signing in... it's gonna be really bizarre.

Once again... keep en coming guys, this is reeeaaaallly working my head.
# 7
polansky
polansky
01/03/2007 11:50 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccSerenity by Godsmack.

Mmmm... intresting, promise I'll look for that one, cause I havent'n heard it.
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/07/2007 1:19 am
Do journey. Everybody loves journey.

I'll just tell you what my bands covers...

All these things that I've done ( :o )-The killers (Everyone will sing with you)
Comfortably numb-Crowd loves this one
People are strange-the doors
Roadhouse blues-the doors
Under the Bridge-Chili Peppers
Brain Damage-Floyd (No one knows the words, but everyone will sing the dark side of the moon line ;) )
Rock and Roll-Zepplin
Fiddlers Green- Tragically Hip
City of Blinding lights-U2

Cheers
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 9
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/07/2007 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: polanskyMmmm... intresting, promise I'll look for that one, cause I havent'n heard it.

Its an awsome song, its pretty mellow though. Would be great for the middle of your show. Its played on a 12-string though, but it will still sounds just as good on a 6.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 10
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/07/2007 4:57 pm
Just a weird idea. Make a set list from the tracks on the guitar hero game. :D There all popular and do to the games popularity there all fresh in peoples mind.

Just my 2 cents.....
# 11
polansky
polansky
01/07/2007 10:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickJust a weird idea. Make a set list from the tracks on the guitar hero game. :D There all popular and do to the games popularity there all fresh in peoples mind.

Just my 2 cents.....

mmmm... great one, I'll take a look on that, thanks
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/07/2007 10:31 pm
Stuff from The Who works well in acoustic arrangements.

I do a mashup of the Overture and the Underture from Tommy on a 12-string. I think with more than one player, you could really rip it.

Also:
Behind Blue Eyes
Love Ain't for Keeping
Magic Bus
Happy Jack
Boris The Spider

it goes on and on...
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
01/08/2007 3:08 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguy

Rock and Roll-Zepplin

lashes eric with guitar string :mad:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 14
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/08/2007 5:53 am
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahah, NO. Just kidding on that one.

Hmmmm...

Definitely the Alice In Chains was a good recommendation. I'd add "Would?", "Rotten Apple", and "I Stay Away" to that list. Can't go wrong with "Little Wing". And of course "Wish You Were Here." Many, many choices.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 15
polansky
polansky
01/08/2007 6:21 pm
I wish I could play Little Wing... but I still a newbie.... whaaaaaaaa
# 16
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/09/2007 2:38 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jplashes eric with guitar string :mad:

huh? ...
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 17
aschleman
aschleman
01/09/2007 4:22 pm
A song that I've been playing live a lot with acoustic guitar that's not written for acoustic guitar is "Israel's Son" by Silverchair..... I love that song. Or "Ana's Song"..... that songs pretty killer too.
# 18
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/09/2007 8:59 pm
Originally Posted by: polanskyI wish I could play Little Wing... but I still a newbie.... whaaaaaaaa

Took me quite sometime...I still can't play it the way Jimi did (who can anyways, for the most part) partially because he had ape like hands and could use his thumb much more effectively than I could. I thought Little Wing was hard, then I tried to learn Castles Made of Sand....I nearly urinated and quite trying.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 19
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 8:37 am
Originally Posted by: polanskyMy former band is getting toghether again but this time I'm leaving the drum throne and I'm gonna be playing guitar (it's going to be an acustic guitar trio playing covers and some original stuff).

I'm just starting and the other 2 guys have more than 15 years playing, but we all must give ideas for the set list.

We would like to arrange the songs to a acustic set like Ben Harper did with "in your eyes" by Peter Gabriel

Any suggestions for some rocking songs to play?

The songs to play are persoanl to you. You could try the acoustic version of layla or the doors light my fire. I love those. As for the set list. After 10 yrs playing pubs n clubs in the uk i found that uptempo songs at the start are great. move to slower songs at the end of the first set and start the second set with a fast tempo song put some slower ones in during the middle and finish with at least 4 fast songs or a montage. Try to play songs everyone knows and put a few in that are unknown. Do this in the middle of a set but only one or two per set until they get established.
The most important thing to remeber is play to the audience.
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.