Finally bought a new Mac with OSX

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2006 9:40 pm
First impressions.... eeeew!!!
All these pretty bling bling things they've added like pictures in windows, animated zooms and that stupid dock thing have gotta go.
Gimme all my applications as iconless text on the desktop and a way to instantly switch between applications and I'll be happy again.
I feel like this thing's been infected with a Windows lobotomy virus or something.

On the good side, it's definately faster and the glowing mouse thing is kinda kewl.
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/28/2006 10:47 pm
Yeah, that's how I felt about it at first, too but now I dread going back to OS 9 or earlier.

The more you get used to it, the more efficiently you work with it and then there comes a day when the old way of doing things feels like trying to parallel park a dump truck.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2006 12:04 am
Yeah, maybe.
Right now it's really frustrating trying to get it to do simple little things that I've gotten used to over the last decade or whatever.
Simple things like dragging something to the trash... where the hell is the trash can?? Or making iconless alias's on the desktop so I can keep my top 100 favorite applications on the desktop.
Or finding an equivalent utility to AppleWindows so I can automatically hide applications when I switch or use the edge of any screen to get an alphabetical list of open applications. (it's way superior to the dock)
I pressed cmmd-y to eject my CD and the thing actually had the nerve to beep at me. :mad:

Maybe I'm just too old school. First thing I did with OS9 was get rid of window zooming to speed things up, use ResEdit to alter all my menu so I had keyboard commands for everything, add a bunch of extensions I use every day like TypeIt4Me, Okey Dokey Pro, Flash-It 3.0.2, DiskLight, World Clock Deluxe, SuperClock! ... then basically use the desktop to organize things so that there's an iconless alias for the top 100 applications and folders I use.
This dock thing is waaay too slow and the window animations are just annoying pretty things that serve no purpose.

Ok.. I've vented. I feel better :)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.