View post (Birth of an Obsession - January 07)

View thread

brew92
brew92
01/06/2007 4:15 am
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been trying to learn the guitar for 3 years now, off and on. It's impossible to find the perfect instructions. I guess you need to decide what type of playing you want to do first, rythym, lead, finger picking ,etc. If you try to tackle all at once you will be lost and frustrated. I decided to learn chords first because, well they are easy and you can play tons of songs with just 3 of them. Besides, didnt Elvis make it big playing only a few chords? Oh wait, I guess he could sing a little to! Anyway, I once asked a wise guitar player, he is 22 and I am 47, can you teach me some tricks? He said tricks? There are no tricks, you just have to practice alot. You know he does have a point. I noticed the more I practice the better and faster I get. I might add though there are techniques that should be taught by a good instructor first hand. You don't want to get into any bad habits and the instructor can show you how to avoid those. You won't learn that from a book or video, they can't watch how you play? So, from one guitar strumming Neophyte to the next, be patient, learn one thing at a time, and practice, practice. practice. Oh yeh, and have fun!