View post ("Who do you sound like?")

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
09/09/2001 4:50 am
A lot of us aren't very comfortable with our voices (as musicians,) however singing is always required, especially if you don't like to depend on others when it comes to the finalization of your work.

As of late, there really aren't that many memorable voices, because for what a lot of people lack today, they make up for it with what the kids like, and that's raw screams. However, it's important to have a good solid (well trained/practiced voice)_ to hold everything together, because as a band you can't always rely on the amplifier to get you through the night.

I grew up listening to Bob Dylan, and there's one thing that I always admired about this guy, and that's that he was comfortable with himself. He Didn't try to compete with others, he was inside his own world, and he really trusted himself when it came to the final words and melodies of his songs.

With listening to his records while growing up, I gradually becamne more comfortable with my voice. When playing panio and guitar, (and writing songs like a mad man all of your life) your voice is something you have to learn to count on.

I guess you just have to try and find your sweet spot. Although I'de rather rely on my chops instead of my voice, there will always come that time where you have blend in with someone else, or carry your own tunes. Overall, regardless on whether or not you pride yourself as a vocalist, as a singer who would you compare yourself to? Or who have you tried to model your voice after?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."