View post (Simple Advice on Nervousness.)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
11/10/2006 2:04 pm
I still don't FULLY agree with the fact that you say physical fitness helps you be less nervous on stage... I have, however, agreed that being part of a team or playing a sport in front of a crowd will help tremendously. With that, comes part physical fitness... dealing with the conditioning and running that is done on a daily basis during practices... and the social skills and confidence that the specific sport creates. Team sports do a lot for young adults... Developing disciplne, social skills, leadership, as well as helps increase the confidence level... I still don't agree that if I do yoga by myself or run by myself everyday... then I will have the necessary skills to get up in front of 300 people for the first time and not be nervous or slightly scared... It doesn't work that way. Sure, running with people or doing yoga in a class of many other people may help... because you're doing something in front of people... I see what you're saying, and I agree on the terms that I've explained below... But stage performances still come down to the artists confidence in their abilities. Personally I believe that a guitar player/singer that practices a set list with his/her band for 3 hours a day... has a tremendous advantage over an artist that runs/does yoga for an hour and a half and practices a set list for an hour and a half. Granted, it's good to be in good physical shape during shows... it helps keep the energy level up and it helps keep you going through the concert... But if you've ever been in a band that has full band practice every day... or even 3 days a week... you would know that you get plenty of cardio and general conditioning from playing for 3 hours straight... That's exercise a musician can use... In my opinion.

But again, not to say that you're wrong... I agree on some of your points... I'm just saying that what you're placing a lot of emphasis on is one of the least important things to worry about when preparing for a show... especially one with more than 300 people... I just think practicing in front of small crowds is the best thing. Exposure, exposure, exposure. Practice, practice, practice. Exercise IS good... don't get me wrong. As far as the music goes though... exercise isn't going to help you play an entire song of barre chords without your hand cramping... or it's not going to help you nail that solo...