Teaching children

pogohead
pogohead
10/05/2006 4:16 pm
Hey all

I've been teaching a ten year old boy for the last few weeks. All is going well and his mother has recommended me to a friend who has an 'advanced' child whom she would like to take up an instrument. This child is five years old and has been enrolled for acting classes and a few other extra-curricular activities.

My gut instinct is that this child is too young to learn guitar, he's already doing too much for his age and I should flatly refuse to teach him. However, if I do this then potentially I may lose custom from the other child's mother.

Does anyone here teach young children? Is it possible or should I avoid it at all costs? :confused:
# 1
ren
ren
10/05/2006 4:22 pm
I teach kids.... but not quite that young. I also show my nephew how to play, and he's 6 - but it's not proper lessons, just basic chords and fun - he used to play the ukelele. Very very simple melodies.

I started playing when I was 5 on a uke, but didn't take lessons on guitar until I was 8.

I would say, take the lesson, but make sure to make the parent(s) aware that progress may be slow, if it happens at all... unless you don't want to, then just use the 'too busy' excuse. make sure the lesson is short. My nephew starts to get restless after about 15 minutes, and I don't even offer hour lessons to anyone until their teens.

I don't know what the real minimum age is - if the kid wants to learn, he will. If his parents want him to learn, that may not be enough.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
tuned4trash666
tuned4trash666
10/05/2006 5:50 pm
5 may be a little young but if this kid is as advanced as his mother says he is you never know, you might have a little Satriani on your hands. Start with the simple stuff. Have him try the ukelele theyre easy to pick up on.
My gear:Washburn 333Dimebolt, Washburn2stStealth, Jackson Dinky, EpiphoneSG, Fender DR Heartfeld 5 string Bass, ESP LTD Bass, Pearl Export Drums, Shure mics, Peavey Bass amps, Crate guitar amps
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.