KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR!!!

Joseph
Joseph
08/26/2001 11:54 pm
Well, I hope you guys don't mind that I'll be talking about a charcter who isn't necessarily known for his bright or volatile nature, nor is he known for his ability to start fires under the covers of your bed.

He's a quiet man, who speaks when he feels necessary, an interesting personality, who has definitely affected the world of music in more ways than one can count.

It's safe to say that for most of us, as musicians, we're not very comfortable with our voice, and a lot the times we stray from writings songs due to the fact that we just can't hit that extra high note. But sometimes, I guess if our message is powerful, that's all that matters, and we and get away with a little bit of sloppy vocal lines.

However, I know many different people who feel that BOB DYLAN is the greatest singer to ever grace this planet, and heck, I even know of a girl who cries everytime she hears KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR. Not because her husband was in the war, but because of her own personal interpretations.

Do you guys feel that we tend to over analyze the work or others to fit our lifestyle, and to make sense of what's going on inside of our heads? Or would you rather just go with the obvious meaning of a song?

Also, what's your personal interpretation of KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/27/2001 3:31 am
Aaaah, Bob Dylan, the one and only. Yes, he is the greates singer on the planet, because when he tries(and he doesn't always, he can be temperemental) his voice encapsulates the range of human emotions. Knocking on Heaven's Door is one of the great songs of all time. He did it at the concert I was at in June, with the two guitarists doing the "ooh" bits. The chords were slightly changed, and the melody slightly altered, it sounded terrific, one of the highlights of the night, make sme feel all funny just thinking about it. Btw, has anyone actually seen Pat Garret and Billy the Kid? I never have, but I would love to. Dylan has a cameo in it, which would be funny. He's also on an apparently awful movie "Hearts of Fire" where he plays a "reclusive rock legend" tee heee. It was in the 80s, so we can forgive him for it.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.