Best bands active today

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
08/12/2001 10:23 pm
Bands that are releasing material.

Im looking forward to the new Oasis album scheduled in the next year or so.

Im looking forward aswell to the new Guns N Roses album, Chinese Democracy. Ive heard a couple of the new songs and the new band sound good.

One of my favourite bands, Aslan, are releasing an album soon too. Ive seen them a few times but I doubt any of you will because theyre not allowed perform outside Ireland due to them all having drug charges.

David Gray is also releasing a new studio album so that should be good. Id like to see if it can live up to his last, White Ladder.

And, I just got an album last week by an Irish guy called David Kitt, he lives around the corner from me its a great album called The Big Romance. You should check it out, some nice acoustic guitar on it.

Also, theres another young Irish guy called Paddy Casey. One of his songs, Sweet Suburban Sky, is on the Dawsons Creek soundtrack. The only way I can describe his music is a cross between traditional Celtic music and Prince.

www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/13/2001 4:01 am
Great bands still kicking it today:
Clutch
Incubus (looking forward to their new album)
Ben Folds- Not guitar music, but this guy still rocks.
Scissor Fight- Completely demented New Hampshire Wood Chuck hard core music. I think Planet of A$$ is their definative song.
Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade- 'nuff said
Stone Temple Pilots
I'll think of other stuff at a later time.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/13/2001 4:47 am

I guess I'll go ahead and list my usual -

Sevendust
Linkin Park
Disturbed
Tool
Godsmack
Incubus

Raskolnikov will probably blast me for mentioning Godsmack again, but I'm willing to take that risk.

# 3
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
08/13/2001 6:23 pm
best band around now??

Radiohead

i know eveyone hates them on this site, and in the rest of the world, but please don't insult them here, e-mail mail me and insult them in person. its barreta_jetstream1@hotmail.com
Tandem Felix
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
08/13/2001 9:58 pm
Ah, its just snobbery. Alot of people here think that if a band isnt a great guitar band then theyre ****e. Its the same situation that started in conversations about Oasis, REM and paticularly Travis, theyve really been targeted. Some people here, not everyone but some in paticular, are so wrapped up in their rock-star, guitar-hero, Steve Vai, wank-fest fantasies that they close their minds to anything else. Its like rappers all hate Will Smith because he never swears and most people hate Britney Spears and boybands ect. because theyre manufactured. I actually quite like radiohead, Im not exactly a die hard fan but I have OK Computer. Just so you dont think everyone hates them. A bit of emotion in music makes a nice change.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/13/2001 10:38 pm
trying not to...
Actually, I don't have anything against you; I do have plenty against the band, but we're all entitled our opinions.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/14/2001 12:56 am
I just went to a Ben Folds gig a couple of days ago. He lives in SOuth Australia now, so it's easy to see him now, with his new band "the dingoes ate my band". I love Radiohead, most of what I listen to isn't particularly guitar music. I spend a lot of time saying how good U2 are, but it seems Robbie Williams is doing enough of that now.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
08/14/2001 3:36 am
U2, it's nice to use them as an example of what a solid foundation should be all about. They're still going just as strong as they were in the early eighties, which I consider to be pretty amazing.

With a lot of the new bands that are coming out today, it's safe to say that they don't know whether or not they are coming or going, and with a lot of the bands who started in the eighties, well they are aren't quite sure what's more important selling records or maintaining their integrity. The thing is that too many musicians tend to get greedy very easily, wher they forget why they got into the business to begin with. It's great when you have piles of money, and ten record executives in your corner, but as "musicians" it's important to be able to think fo yourself, thinking in terms of longevity instead of instant success. To be honest, I have no idea what some of the top musicians of today are think as of late.

Radiohead, these guys are great, and truly innovative. Although their music isnt very guitar oriented as of late, they have proved that they don't need to use the guitar as a crutch, where it's not the only outlet for their creativity. These guys have gotten in touch with themselves, and they have truly discovered their sweet spot. When I go to a concert, I like to feel inspired, and it's such a wonderful experience when the musicians are outspoken in more ways than one...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 8
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
08/15/2001 6:58 pm
i can't belive it!!!
i thought i was the only one on this site who liked radiohead. i do agree that their last two albums Kid A and Amnisiac are a little guitar dry, despite tracks like I might be Wrong with its slide blues into riff. i also agree that OK Computer is there best album. tracks like Paranoid Android and Electioneering are brill and demonstrate what can be acomplished if u enter the stage and studio with an open mind. the sucsess of this album was rightly shown in sales, chart posision and the sucsses of the singles. and of course my signeture. thanks guys, i no longer feel like the first guy to say the world was flat
Tandem Felix
# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/15/2001 9:28 pm
Originally posted by Barreta_jetstream1
i know eveyone hates them on this site . . .

Hate them? I don't hate them. To tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever even heard a Radiohead song.

Raskolnikov, Lol, at least we can both agree on Incubus.
# 10
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/15/2001 11:24 pm
The band that really does it for me is Pantera. Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven are two of my favorite albums. Also Tool, Beatles, STP, Adolescents, and of course AFI. If you haven't heard the new album you should probably check it out. They're a punk band but the new stuff was arranged very nice. Hard riffs, clever licks, and a good delivery of the lyrics and I'm good to go.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 11
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
08/20/2001 6:46 pm
since my last reply, i have been out and bought radiohead's Amnesiac. i onely have one thing to say. WOW!! even though the guitar content in reletivly low, the little there is blew my socks off, mainly the track I Might be Wrong with is dirty sliding blues riff. anyone else got the album? (i'm not sure if it has been released in the U.S. yet)
Tandem Felix
# 12
metalisbest
metalisbest
08/06/2002 5:13 pm
I'm looking forward to Linkin Park's new cd, Reanimation, Soufly's, III, Saliva's new album, Godsmack's new album, Trustcompany, The Lonely Position of Neutral, and Sinch.
# 13
bornoffire
bornoffire
08/06/2002 5:20 pm
definatley one of the best live preformers still kickin' today....sure you may not like there new stuff(i love it bombin' down the highway)but there stuff is priceless and riffs are unmatched...inovators of metal and a legendary band in my eyes.......

pantera as well......its to bad phil has to ruin it
jam it up!!!
# 14
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/06/2002 6:28 pm
I like radiohead!

But I would have to say Incubus, Tori Amos, and Matchbox Twenty are good.

# 15
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
08/06/2002 7:27 pm
phish, indigenous, keller williams, charlie hunter, johnny lange,etc.........

# 16
ZackyH
ZackyH
08/08/2002 1:56 am
Ok, come on guys. I know this is a guitar site and everything and I love the guitar too but my opinion is music doesn't have to have a guitar to be good. I love industrial electronic music. IMHO, it's one of the few genres of electronic style music that actually has a pulse. The stuff you hear at dance clubs with the same boring beats is completely lifeless but Industrial along with what Radiohead is doing actually has some heart behind it. On Amnesiac there are lots of great tracks that don't have guitar: Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates, and Life In a Glass House. Well, I pretty much like everything on that album except for Revolving Doors and Hunting Bears.

Anyways, my list of good bands currently making music:

Skinny Puppy (They're getting back together and Danny Carey is going to be a guest drummer! Woohoo!)

Seaking of Carey, Tool is on my list. They're one of the best metal groups working today. (BTW, if you ever goto a Tool show you may hear music playing before the show starts, you may hear some Skinny Puppy. Carey has been picking the songs).

System of a Down, and people place them in the category of Nu-metal??? I thought nu-metal was supposed to suck.

Nine Inch Nails, even though he did rip off Skinny Puppy and Ministry in his first album, Pretty Hate Machine ((Check out Skinny Puppy - Dig It and compare it to NIN -Down In It, Ministry - Isle of Man (Version II) and compare it to NIN - Sin. Listen for certain samples, drum loops, and melodies. They're there if you really listen )). The guy has really come a long way and has actually become an original artist. Right now he's working on the Doom 3 soundtrack and a project called Tapeworm with Maynard from Tool. Sounds sweet!

And Radiohead. I love their electronic stuff as well as their more guitar oriented The Bends and OK Computer albums.
# 17
bornoffire
bornoffire
08/08/2002 3:06 pm
nu-metal does suck...thats why soad's there

p.s i think tool should go into exile with the rest of there clones and never be spoken of again
jam it up!!!
# 18
MikeP.
MikeP.
08/08/2002 4:24 pm
My fav's still kicking today:

Yngwie Malmsteen
Tony macalpine
Marty Friedman
Alex Skolnick
James Murphey
Joe Stump
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Micheal Angelo
Ozzy Osbourne
BLS (Black Label Society)
Pantera
Slayer
Poison
Dio
Scorpions
Deep Purple
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 19
metalisbest
metalisbest
10/15/2002 9:53 pm
Trustcompany, Chevelle, Tool, 311, Sevendust, Saliva(new song is awesome), and Disturbed
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.