Foo Fighters Acoustic Tour

aschleman
aschleman
07/13/2006 7:21 pm
I'm pretty stoked... I scored 2 tix for the Foo Fighters Acoustic show at the Roosevelt Auditorium on Aug. 25th in Chicago.... it's a sold out show in a small venue so it should be pretty sweet. I know Dave and the boys put on a killer Electric show but I'm curious if anyone has seen their acoustic show or heard anything about it??? Taylor Hawkins IS going to be the drummer too... I read that on their website the other day so that's good...

Another thing that excites me is they're in the first row in the first Balcony... dead center... Should be a good time.

If you have nothing else to reply to this thread... just tell me what you think about Dave Grohl or the Foo Fighters!?
# 1
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
07/13/2006 8:03 pm
I love the Foo's!! Hell, I know it will be awesome let us know the details of the show wont you? :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/13/2006 8:10 pm
Everlong was one of my favorite songs a decade ago. Hope you have a blast man. :cool:
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
07/20/2006 1:37 pm
I have a bunch of MP3s from when they did an acoustic show for AT&T wireless a few years back... it's awesome. It's really quite the performance, they converse, a lot, with the audience and often stop in the middle of songs to talk about random things... pretty good stuff.
# 4
ren
ren
07/20/2006 1:48 pm
Never seen an acoustic set, but my brother is a mad foo fan, and we got front row tickets for a full on gig last year - amazing show.... their new guitar player Christian (?) can shred as well, he did a 5 minute long solo break which was pretty crazy.... And the lighting was amazing... Dave popped up in the middle of the crowd on a raised platform too - very good show!

I like their older stuff to be honest - yeah, everlong, but I reckon 'Hey Johnny Park' is my fav FF track.... I kinda lost track after the second album...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
aschleman
aschleman
07/20/2006 2:39 pm
I've seen a set list from one of the first shows of the tour and they've played a lot of stuff from the acoustic disc 2 of the In Your Honor album... which is a great album... they also played some older stuff... Of cousrse!! I'm more in to their older stuff too... But I follow Dave Grohl quite a bit. I think he's a rarity in the music industry... he can do it all... and he's a genuinely nice guy. I'm pretty jacked for the show... I also just picked up tickets to the John Mayer/Sheryl Crow show and Ben Harper/Damien Marley show. I'm pretty pumped to see John play some blues.
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
08/25/2006 5:00 pm
Ahhh... the day has come... I'm headin downtown Chicago as soon as I get off work for a lovely acoustic show with Dave Grohl and the boys... I'll take pics and let you all know how it went... I saw a setlist for the DC show and it looks like they played the acoustic versions of Hero, Everlong, and Learn to Fly... plus the new acoustic stuff and some older stuff. So it should be pretty gnarley.
# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/25/2006 5:57 pm
I was listen to the radio a week or so ago cause they just played here not too long ago. They say its more mellow cause its acoustic, but its just as amazing as they're regular shows.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
08/28/2006 12:44 pm
Most kick ass show that I've been to in a loooooong time. It was very laid back and formal... They had it set-up exactly like an MTV Unplugged stage... with chairs and rugs and lights all around... They also had a violinist, extra guitarist, keyboardist, and an extra percussionist sit in with the rest of the band... which added to the experience. They played a lot of older songs and also the new ones from their second disc of In You Honor... my favs are: Miracle, On The Mend, Best of You, and Razor... The encore was probably the best part of the show by far... Dave came back out by himself... and told a story about how he first met Kris and Kurt from Nirvana... I'm not even a big fan of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana... but hearing that story gave me chills... It went something like this... I'll try to tell it the best I can... the way that he told it...

"So I grew up in a small town in Virginia... but the first place that I really got turned onto live music was here in Chicago... I saw my first live concerts here when I would come visit... Ever since then I'd been hooked on music... So it's really because of the Chicago music scene... We've played here a ton though... (blah blah... talks about where they've played)... I remember playing here a long time ago in my first band... we were touring across America and when we got to LA we kind of just broke up out of nowhere... In the middle of touring... At that point I didn't know what the hell I was going to do... Or what direction I was headed... So I was out in LA pretty much living in an apartment... playing with a few people just to make a few bucks... When I had a friend that gave me the number of these two guys from Seattle that were looking for a drummer... So.. I gave them a call and everything worked out to where they said they'd like to play with me... So I fly up to Seattle with pretty much the last bit of money that I had... They picked me up at the airport... literally with nothing but my drum kit, a guitar and an apple that I took from a breakfast cart on the plane... that's all that I owned at this point... I remember seeing Kris whose a big tall... he's like... 6' 8" or something... goofy guy and thinking... whoa... you don't seem like that on the phone... And of course Kurt was a small quiet guy... pretty much just said hey and that was it... Immediately I'm thinking... THEEEEESE GUYS ARE WEIRD!!! What the hell did I get myself into... So... me and Kris load my stuff in the van... and we're on our way to their place and it's just this terrible uncomfortable silence... And I couldnt' think of anything to say... I'm thinking... 'Don't screw this up... it's my last chance'... and suddenly I just go... "Do you want a bite of my apple??" and Kurt says... "No... those things make my mouth bleed...." And I'll be honest... It freaked me out a bit. But we got back to the place... It was this little place out in the middle of no where that was pretty much a barn... So we would practice like 8 hours a day because we nothing else to do... And we lived in this small place that was pretty much two bedrooms a bathroom and a kitchen and living room all in one... and of course... I'm the drummer..... so.... I get the couch... which was about as big as.... *points to a chair* This...... But I was cool with it you know... (talks some more about the apartment... practicing...) This next song is pretty much the first song I'd ever written on an acoustic guitar... Becuase you know... We were in Seattle... it rains like 10 months out of the year... it's alway dark...... and depressing....... and grrrrrrrrungy.... We were into that stuff... But I wrote this song pretty much about my experience with these two weird dudes from Seattle... and how it was.... and one of my friends worked for a low budget record label in Seattle... she heard me play this song one time and she was like "you have to record that... let's record a small 4 track demo..." So I did... and little did I know back then... It was like 1991.... that it would be the start of what we're doing now... It was the start of the Foo Fighters... So this is a song about my friends in Nirvana... it's called Friend of a Friend"..............

Chills.......... I did the best to replicate the story... I left some parts out about Kris living in Tacoma... and a few others... but you get the point.. It was a kick ass concert thoguh for sure. Sorry for the long post... Just thought I'd provide some reading for someone out there that cares!! haha.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.