connecting amplifiers

pogohead
pogohead
05/26/2006 7:12 pm
Just wondering how you connect one marshall stack to another and another.

For instance, if i take both outputs from the head to both cabs, how would i connect to another head and 2 cabs? just a bit confused is all :)
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/27/2006 5:12 am
You connect the inputs together, not the outputs.

If you have a '4-holer' Marshall, its easy to run your guitar cable to one input, and then run another cable from the second jack for that channel to the input of the other amp. Otherwise, you need a 'Y' cable to connect your guitar to the two amplifier inputs.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
pogohead
pogohead
05/27/2006 11:49 am
ah ok, someone mentioned 'daisy-chaining' 4 stacks together and i couldn't see how.

would you be able to use the direct line out from the head to the input of the next amp?
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/27/2006 4:28 pm
The 'lineout' signal is taken from the output of the preamp or the output of the power amp. Its not just the signal from your guitar, so the next amp you connect to is going to produce a diferent sound, based on what its preamp adds to what came out of the first amp. You may find that you like it that way. Just keep in mind that its not the same as linking the inputs.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
jakej
jakej
06/03/2006 5:43 pm
This is just my two cents worth on how I do it. If I hooked up my amps input to output i got a nasty hum. So I got a Bigshot ABY switch , It is really cool hook your guitar to it and then your amps to it and you can switch between them or play them together. I have a Fender 65 twin reverb and a Fender cyber Twin SE that I run together and It will blow your mind at the sounds. I run the twin reverb clean in the center of my music room and the cyber twin is hooked up to 2 marshall 4X12 cabs. I run the cyber twin in stereo mode with the 4X12s on either side of the room for a true stereo sound. I keep the twin reverb clean and then run all my effects through the stereo cyber twin. The combination is wild, and a lot of fun, and no hum I can crank them up full blast and they sound great together..... :) :)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.