Under Rated Guitarists

aschleman
aschleman
05/26/2006 1:05 pm
I liked Creeds stuff from My Own Prison... I think that was the name of the album... everything after that was just... eh... I did see Alter Bridge play live... just out of curiosity... I think they should have went out and got a more dynamic vocalist. He only really has one sound. All the vocal tracks pretty much sound the same to me... Tremonti is underrated mostly because with Creed... he was never allowed to really use solos... Either way... you can deny deny deny... in mainstream/pop/modern rock... he's probably without a doubt the best guitarist out there. I obviously wouldn't put him in the same alley as the great metal guitarists and virtuosos... But he writes some great stuff. But then again... he has been named Guitar World Player of the year a few times... so I guess he can't be that overrated... but rather... Forgotten.
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/26/2006 8:37 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI liked Creeds stuff from My Own Prison... I think that was the name of the album... everything after that was just... eh... I did see Alter Bridge play live... just out of curiosity... I think they should have went out and got a more dynamic vocalist. He only really has one sound. All the vocal tracks pretty much sound the same to me... Tremonti is underrated mostly because with Creed... he was never allowed to really use solos... Either way... you can deny deny deny... in mainstream/pop/modern rock... he's probably without a doubt the best guitarist out there. I obviously wouldn't put him in the same alley as the great metal guitarists and virtuosos... But he writes some great stuff. But then again... he has been named Guitar World Player of the year a few times... so I guess he can't be that overrated... but rather... Forgotten.

Yeah, he probably has been forgotten to some extent, but I actually preferred his guitar work in the Creed years to the stuff he plays with Alterbridge. I know it was mostly rhythm (although he got to play the odd solo as well), but I prefer an interesting, well-composed rhythm to an overdone, cosmetic lead. He writes songs for Alterbridge as well, but Creed was a more dynamic compositional unit, with significant input from a number of songwriters. Alterbridge seems to involve Mark pulling most of the weight, which leaves their work with less variety... :(

So yeah, he's a good player, but Alterbridge as a band leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
holy diver
holy diver
05/26/2006 8:56 pm
has anybody mentioned vivian campbell? he is certainly one of the most underrated guitarists of the eighties right until today.
# 3
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/26/2006 8:58 pm
Vivian hasn't been mentioned yet. Good One. Who was the guitarist for another 80's band White Lion --Vito something?

Underrated also.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/26/2006 10:45 pm
I think John Abercrombie is underrated as well.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/27/2006 10:10 am
Here are some amazing shredders/neo-classical players that are pretty much unknown - well worth checking out if you like quality shred.

- Theodore Ziras (neo-classical)
- David Valdez (neo-classical)
- MIchael Harris (progressive)
- Alejandro Silva (fusion/shred)
- Dan Keller (exotic metal)

You can check these guys out on guitar9.com, there are plenty of free MP3 clips.
# 6
alucard0941
alucard0941
05/27/2006 4:37 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanHere are some amazing shredders/neo-classical players that are pretty much unknown - well worth checking out if you like quality shred.

- Theodore Ziras (neo-classical)
- David Valdez (neo-classical)
- MIchael Harris (progressive)
- Alejandro Silva (fusion/shred)
- Dan Keller (exotic metal)

You can check these guys out on guitar9.com, there are plenty of free MP3 clips.

yea dude, Dan Keller is awesome. Very underrated.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.