View post (Favourite solos)

View thread

eljison
eljison
07/27/2001 4:27 am
Originally posted by fendermonkey77
This is like a game of tennis....fendermonkey77 with the return! What about Neal Schon (Journey) or Steve Lukather (Toto and TONS of studio work).

Hey, glad you agree. as for Schon and Lukather, both talented guitarists but I'm not as familiar with their stuff (save for Schon's Journey and Santana work) They're not exactly my style... I return with Al Dimeola. In my opinion he is a master technician but lacks soul. There are some exceptions but when I listen to him, it feels like I'm listening to him practice scales! I much prefer Phil Keaggy's melodic style. also, have you heard any Acoustic Alchemy? there is some great guitarwork, especially on the early stuff ("Red Dust and Spanish Lace" and "Early Alchemy"). Later stuff is also good but more effort was put into production and synthesizers. There are a bunch of great guitarists from the Windham Hill/New Age genre such as William Ackerman, Michael Hedges, Ottmar Liebert, Struntz and Farah(?) to name a few. I recommend the "Guitar Sampler" collections first to get an idea of which styles you prefer...
happy listening/playing!