View post (Nervousness)

View thread

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/17/2006 11:02 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141thanks, I think I'll try to get the material down perfectly and try to sort of ignore the audience, like not pay attention to the audience and just concentrate on what I'm playing

One cause for your nervousness, I am not knockin' ya I used to be the same way, is what you stated earlier about getting it down perfectly.

Tangent-Why do all guitarist, myself included, want to play it note for note?

You may be putting too much preasure on yourself. Some advice given to me once and I would like to pass it along is--

1)Not every person listening to you know exactly how the song is "supposed" to be played. As long as you can get across the song and everyone can recognize it (if you are playing a cover. If it's original they don't know JACK!) So playing perfectly is actually a monkey on your back. Have fun and jam. People will react more to your attitude and stage pressence than-unless they are guitarists themselves-unfortunately what you are exactly playing (it hurts us all to realize this).

2) If you play a "wrong/Sour" note chord etc. DO NOT STOP!!! DO NOT MAKE A FACE!!! :mad:

Big mistake. You are bringing notice to everyone what you did. Instead--a)make sure to play the same note (if you are soloing) at least 2 more times so people think it is supposed to bethere (discretion works here should it be short staccato or long bend etc.) b)bend the hell out of the note when you hit and find the correct one. c) if it is a wrong chord do not use the above mentioned "tricks" ever. Unless it sounded kind of cool then try to play it again even funkier or later when you are wood sheddin'.

This may not help right away but it should let your mind not focus so much on --Next note, next scale, next chord, how manytimes do I play the bridge--YEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!
Instead focus on the moment and Shred it!

Alos you really should try playing Open mikes.Just you and your guitar. 2-3 of those and your nerves will vanish.

I'll get off my soap box.

Good luck with the show.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]