Strap Locks

jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
03/12/2000 8:06 am
strap locks are an inexpensive way of avoidng embarrassment. i've put them on all the guitars i preform with. a story about that is i was playing the guitar in one song at my school's christmas concert(for my school brass band where i also play cornet trumpet,baritone,tuba,keyboard,bass drums and double-bass violin) when it happened, what guitatrist fear more than breaking a string playing live is when your guitar strap comes of your guitar and you drop it. well this happened to me but i caught it before it hit the ground i don't think to many people in the crowd noticed it because i wasn't playing in front of the band i was sort in the back of the band playing, but i was so embarrased and i promised myself that wouldn't happen again so i went to a guitar shop not to far from my house and asked them if they had a strap that was so tight that it wouldn't fall off and they told me i didn't need a new strap that i should buy strap locks and i did and it hasn't happened again. So fellow guitarist please invest in buying strap locks so this doesn't happen to you a pair of schaller guitar locks only $10.00-15.00. if not for you do it for the people who have to listen to all that noise when your guitar hits the ground.

peaceout,
"Take my hand boss"
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/12/2000 7:56 pm
I can go you one better. I was playing a gig once and I kicked my guitar chord out. It was a three piece band and I was singing. So I couldn't do anything about it. I just kept playing, pretending everything was fine.

Next time I brought a longer chord and looped it thru my strap so that it couldn't be kicked out.

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2000 2:59 pm
Those stories isn´t imbaricing!!!
Thats Rock n´roll, It´s supposed to happen.
A little unwanted stage-show hasn´t killed anybody(ohhh??...just remembered it has).

/Johan Lindgren
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2000 11:33 pm
Try standing over a flash pod when it goes off between your legs...
...not the best way to try & hit that high note :)

# 4
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
04/11/2000 2:39 am
I picked up a nice locking strap about 2 months ago. It's by Planet Waves, and it will fit any guitar and stay locked in place until you release the catch and physically move the thing, making sure there is no possible way for it to accidentally unlock.
# 5
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/11/2000 12:41 pm
yeah, that's good because i have a friend named zig who is like hendrix reincarnated who was doing all the tricks with his guitar like swinging it, going around his back ala srv style and dropped and broke his gibson les paul. what a shame.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 6
Rockinstrat
Rockinstrat
06/21/2000 10:36 pm
Its happened to me a lot, like one time in our band we were practicing this song we could never get down, we were just about to finish it and my strap fails, my guitar almost hit the ground, and the we never finshed the song.
# 7
Buzz
Buzz
06/22/2000 4:21 am
Ahhh the embarrassment of live shows... I LOVE IT!!! I was playing a show once. we were a 5 piece and in the middle ofthe show the other guitarists amp blew. He kept puttin goff getting a new one... well that night made him wish he hadn't. We ended up being able to borrow an amp from a bud in the audience. If he hadn't of been there we definately would have had to cut the show short.

The cable looped through the strap was one of the first things I learned to do. Eventually I saved and got a wireless so I didn't have to worry about the cable at all. That was killer.
That which you can not cure,
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 8
Fretmeister
Fretmeister
06/22/2000 11:27 pm
heh, at one gig i played the other guitarist and drummer had a bit much to drink beforehand... the guitarist fell down halfway into a stone temple pilots song and the drummer dropped his stick and had people from the crowd help him find them!!! it was a crazy night. also the first time i had a bra thrown at me while i was playing =)

jason
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/23/2000 4:37 am
hey guys, i was looking on the net and saw dunlop's strap locks - you need to actually drill out the old strap button hole on your guitar and install a new bit. you also have to fasten a bit to your strap and then the two bits click together. it costs about $20 CAD. is that worth it? i also saw a strap lock that fits into your old strap button hole and just has a nut and bolt thing that tightens around your strap to hold it in place for about the same price. which do you recommend?

------------------
Man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
Buzz
Buzz
06/23/2000 10:11 pm
eggman... Go Dunlop. ... It's a bit more work but well worth it.
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 11
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
06/24/2000 4:32 am
Ok, I got some strap locks, but I need to drill a bigger whole for them to work, cause the screws that they need are bigger than the screws for my present strap buttons. Is this a DYI job, or is it easy to split the body or something, i mean should i take it in and have it installed?
# 12
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
06/24/2000 8:07 am
Like I mentioned a while back, the Planet Waves has helped me out alot. It cost's about $20, and it's really comfortable. It goes over your existing strap "buttons," I guess you'd call 'em, and it just locks down and has a little catch thang that you have to press down to release it. I've been real pleased with it.
# 13
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/26/2000 3:54 pm
hey uncle, i was in the guitar shop and the sales guy there said that he used a Planet Waves strap but the plastic catch eventually wore down a groove into his guitar body (at the back). maybe it was the way he used it.

------------------
Man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 14
Buzz
Buzz
06/27/2000 4:06 am
Luigi,
It can be a simple DIY job as long as you predrill the holes and are careful not to over tighten the screws. If you don't predrill the biggest thing you'll run into is cracking or chipping the paint job around the holes. If you're not comfortable doing it, then there's nothing wrong with taking it to your local shop and asking them to.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 06-27-2000).]
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 15
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
06/27/2000 4:14 am
Yeah, I've noticed it a bit, but only if I leave the strap on when I store the guitar. I've started removing it and I buffed out all the scratches the the thing left and I haven't had a problem since. Also, my strap pegs are on the back, instead of on the sides of the guitar, like I've noticed on most of them, so maybe that has something to do with it...
# 16
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
06/30/2000 5:27 am
When I had no money, i would take off the strap buttons and put a big washer over the button and the strap. Of course, that was on cheaper guitars. I use Strap-Locks on my Les Paul, and a Dimarzio Cliplock on my Jazzmaster. Also, on black straps you can spray paint the ends so they harden and it's hard to knock them off. I do this for guitars that come thru the ole repair shop. Later,

Atomic
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.