View post (Heavier strings)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
05/25/2006 9:30 pm
I have big huge 13 gauge strings on my Floyd Rose. I would have to add two more springs to get it up to standard tuning... but I keep it down at C# so the normal three spring setup works just fine. So far, so good.

Stevie Ray Vaughn used big-@$$ 13 gaugers, and at standard tuning I presume. And of course, his weapon of choice was the venerable Strat. Did he have some kind of specially-made weird tremolo or something? I know he had a lefty version in his right-handed guitar. I played an SRV Strat the other day at the Guitar Center... but they take the tremolo arms out of the floor models so I didn't get a chance to dork around with it, other than depressing it with the edge of my palm... which I do when I'm too lazy to grab the arm. Also, I've heard you can't do divebombs on the Fender trem, but SRV was known for them. So what's up with that? :confused:

Finally, I wanna get a guitar with a Kahler. Would that handle 13 gaugers just fine? Hell, they make a tremolo for bass :eek: so I imagine it dang well should!!!