View post (computer recording)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 5:01 am
Do you still have editing capabilities? Not sure but it sounds like you're basically just taking the outputs of the standalone and mixing down to stereo on the computer. The drawback is in the recording to begin with.
A standalone is basically linear... you're recording from beginning to end. You have to work with small scrolling displays so you have to keep everything in your head as to what's on which track and so forth.
You can't visually see what you're doing.

Tell ya what, check out this tutorial:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7452&s_id=58

Get an idea what it's like to work within the computer. ie, being able to edit tracks and visually see what you're doing.
Now compare that to basically working on a standalone where you're recording like an ordinary tape deck and then mixing it down into stereo on your computer.

With the computer software, you can visualize what your song looks like, look at waveforms and edit them... quantize sounds so that they're in beat, drag the midi notes around and assign them to different instruments then change the entire key...do 20 vocal tracks and pick the best takes from each track and slide them back and forth so that they're in beat..

With a standalone, if you want to edit your song, you have to scroll through a tiny display and keep the entire song in your head. You can't quantize.
You can't do anything with midi. You're limited to whatever effects are built in. Last but not least, if one part of the unit breaks down, the entire thing has to go into service so you lose your recording studio for 6 - 8 weeks.

Like I said, it's like the difference between amateur and pro.
The only reason I would by a standalone would be if I was recording an entire band in real time. Mainly cause it's portable and you can input several instruments at once onto different tracks.
However, later on I'd still take each individual track and transfer them into Cubase so I could work with them visually.