View post (Any good tube amp recomendations?)

View thread

alucard0941
alucard0941
04/04/2006 3:28 am
Im planning (or hoping) to get a tube amp in the next few months. Iv been doin some research and found myself stuck in a rut. No matter how much a brand may advertise their sound, when actually playing their amps, it seems a little far from what their soposed to sound.

Anyways, what kind of tube amps are good quality as far as overall tone. Ill looking for nothing over 1200 (USD). Im trying to lay low off the BIG name'ers like Marshall. Not that their bad amps, but as far as I know, you have to shell out at big chunk of your wallet to get an awesome one. Im looking for a SUPERB amp for the budget. I heard alot of good things from Madison amps, (there was a thread a few weeks back) and where I live, there is a Madison dealer in decent driving distance. Also, Iv looked at the Peavey XXX (All these are heads BTW).

I play just about everything, which is my biggest delima. I dont want an amp that is only good at one things and not good at another. I guess I play with distortion, but not heavier than Thrash metal. Im looking for a real tight, smooth tone (not crunchy or grainy) that produces clear notes even when its pushed to its limits. Also, a big range is important.

I dont know if you can help me, but if you have any input, or any tips, precautions, ect. or whatever, please post/ :)
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!