chipped corners and points

pogohead
pogohead
03/17/2006 11:53 am
Hi there

I've bought my fiancee a Warlock Bass guitar. I got it cheap because whoever owned it before clearly didn't look after it and dropped it on its arse a few times.

All the lovely pointy bits are just rounded off chips now. I know how to fill a dent IN a body, but how can you replace outer bits that should have a nice edge to them from flat ugly dents?

ps. is it possible to get bass strings that dont have nickel in them? She's allergic to it and its starting to hurt her fingers :(
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/17/2006 5:09 pm
Originally Posted by: pogoheadHi there

I've bought my fiancee a Warlock Bass guitar. I got it cheap because whoever owned it before clearly didn't look after it and dropped it on its arse a few times.

Nothin' says "I want to spend my life with you" like a Warlock bass guitar. A Warlock bass guitar that you got cheap. Because it's all dented and stuff. Nice.
# 2
acapella
acapella
03/17/2006 5:10 pm
If I wanted to woo a woman, I too would buy her a Warlock bass guitar that's been repeatedly dropped. Good job, you romancer you.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/17/2006 5:14 pm
Ok, all mocking you aside, I don't know what to do. Sorry.
# 4
acapella
acapella
03/17/2006 5:17 pm
Yeah, I don't know. Get her a ring or something, maybe?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 6:03 pm
Sorry pogohead, flaming people and trolling is not allowed on this board, hence the deleted messages.

I can only suggest talking to a luther or maybe some one at your local guitar shop to try and fix your problem.

The may be able to sand in new points and patch the paint job.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/17/2006 6:08 pm
A bunch of dings and such don't bother me much at all. To me, it just gives the instrument a bit more character. But, I do know that some people are put off by blemishes.

The cheap route would be to get some good quality wood filler, from a hardware store, and fill the dents, and add enough to bring it back to shape, then paint over it. You would probably need some type of hardener or something to put over the filler so it doesn't fall off.

The more expensive, much better, route would be to sand off all the paint, then smooth out, and reshape all the dings, and then repaint it.

There are probably other way's to go about it, but that's all I can think of.

Not too sure about the no nickle bass strings either.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
03/17/2006 7:30 pm
Hm... well, you can go about it a few ways...

1. Deal with it

2. Take it to a luthier. Who will probably end up sanding it down and reshaping it... or atleast just the points... and it will cost quite a bit for the labor...

3. Try it yourself... not recommended. I don't recommend going the wood filler route either. In the long run you'll just end upf chipping the whole mass of wood filler off the end...

I personally like guitars that are beat up. But I don't think I would buy one that is already beat up. Unless it was a vintage Strat... I think you should have her get use to the scratches and start adding her own...

About the bass strings... I'm not sure if Elixer makes bass strings or not... but they're coated with a thin coating that may keep her from irritating her skin. Other than that I'm not sure if there are any that aren't made of nickle... you might also check out the colored strings from DR. The little bit of coating on those may lessen the irritation too.
# 8
pogohead
pogohead
03/18/2006 7:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonSorry pogohead, flaming people and trolling is not allowed on this board, hence the deleted messages.

eh? what are you on about?
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2006 9:17 pm
Oh, the deleted messages earlier in the thread.

You probably can't see them because they are deleted !!

I know they are there because I deleted them.

I also know that they don't contain anything of any value so don't worry about it.

Never mind, I hope the responses you got have helped some !
# 10
pogohead
pogohead
03/18/2006 10:46 pm
why? did i get some stick for having a pointy luthiery from hell guitar? :D
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2006 11:50 pm
no, you got stick (IMHO) for no good reason at all. Whilst Im sure you are capable of fighting your own battles trolling an flaming people is against the forum rules hence the moderation.

The people concerned have been warned and Im sure they will be very well behaved in the future.

We don't want to be some totalitarian dictatorship, we just ask our members to respect each other a little. This prevents the forum degenerating into a war zone where all the good useful stuff gets lost in slanging matches and petty vendettas.

The GT forum rules are posted as a sticky on the top of the "open discussion" and occasionally we ban people who ignore them. People who are being disruptive are usually warned first and if they don't settle down...it is striate into the colon !!
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/20/2006 1:07 am
Originally Posted by: pogoheadps. is it possible to get bass strings that dont have nickel in them? She's allergic to it and its starting to hurt her fingers :([/QUOTE]
Rotosound, I know makes stainless steel strings which I really like. You can give them a try.

[QUOTE=Dr_simon]it is striate into the colon !!

Been listening to George Carlin per chance?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/20/2006 1:26 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon... and if they don't settle down...it is striate into the colon !![/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Raskolnikov]Been listening to George Carlin per chance?

I suspect that's what he means by "gross anatomy"! :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/20/2006 5:26 pm
Originally Posted by: pogoheadwhy? did i get some stick for having a pointy luthiery from hell guitar? :D

It was just me and acapella pointing out how odd it was that you bought your fiancee a dented-up bass. We were being jerks about it, which is why they got deleted.
# 15
pogohead
pogohead
03/21/2006 8:45 am
ah, thats ok, wont offend me :P

truth be known, when we bought it she needed something to learn on, it was cheap and we were on a budget but now we can afford it she's getting a new NJ series bass, just wouldnt mind tarting up the platinum to see if its possible really. :)
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.