Barre Chords

yieldspread
yieldspread
07/04/2001 8:44 pm
I have been trying to play these damn things for almost a month now. I have been doing hand exercises to build strength and stamina. I have consulted various sources for tips (holding index finger as close to fret, repositioning the thumb, slightly bending the index finger, etc.) and NOTHING works. If I hear another muffled string I think I'm going to destroy my guitar!! Needless to say my, patience has run out. Can anyone please suggest something I can do to improve my barring? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/05/2001 12:08 am
Part of the problem might be trying to play all 6 strings all the time. Especially on power chords using distortion... you can usually get away with playing just the bottom 3 or 4 root strings. Very rarely do I play the top E string unless it's a clean sound... then it's just a matter of practice (lots of it) till it gets easy. Another part of the problem might have to do with your setup, string height etc... other than that, a month isn't that much time... it took me about a year before I could play barre chords without screwing up.
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/05/2001 2:32 pm
Only a month, and you're losing your patience? It took me about 3 months to get them down. I think this is one of those things with guitar that everyone has a tip on how to do it best, but you just need to keep trying until one day, you discover that you can do it.

That said, here's a one thing that might help: on the E-string based barre chords, a minor chord means that you have your middle finger free to overlap on your index to provide more support, or on A-string based barre chords, it would be a sus2 chord.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
07/06/2001 11:11 am
Learn another fingering for the basic chords E and Am in open position. Use your middle, ring, pinky for the chords instead of the index, middle and ringfinger.
While making these two chords with a new fingering you are exercising your fingers. When you can perform it well in open position it's now relatively easy to use your index finger to make the barred chords. When you can make the basic barre chords easier it's time to learn new voicings.
Take the time all beginning is difficult.
# 4
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/08/2001 5:22 pm
I agree on useing the opens chords,plus useing,
partial Bar chords when starting out.
These chords get put a side by most beginners,
when first starting out.
later on down the ROAD you will need these positions,
plus some of the fingerings of them in other chords as,
you move up the finger board later on.
I also recommend to try useing your thumb to make a
bar chord like useing it for the root note on the sixth,
string later on for other styles after you get the standard, bar chords with the index finger down real good.
The main thing is try to get your notes to sound clear,
and clean .
The key to this is practice practice but don'nt over,
pratice or your hand is going to cramp up.
Sometimes you just have to stop and give your hands,
a rest........................

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 07-09-2001 at 12:05 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/08/2001 6:02 pm
Originally posted by skee1
I also recommend to try useing your thumb to make a
bar chord like useing it for the root note on the sixth,
string plus the grand bar chord with the index finger.

Well, you won't be able to wrap your thumb around to get the top note unless you have monstrously large hands. I can do it because I have huge hands, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. For some songs, it's a necessity, but I'd recommend beginners just stick to the standard way of doing things.

And Yieldspread, there were many times I felt like smashing my guitar up against the wall (especially because I started learning on an acoustic), but you've gotta stick with it. A month is nothing.
# 6
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/09/2001 4:03 pm
Thanks Christoph
for catching the wording in that thread about the thumb,
type bar chord.
I redone the thread.

Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 7
fingers
fingers
07/12/2001 2:59 pm
If your having that much trouble, check your guitar. I am assuming your playing some sort of electric. Check the distance from the strings to the fretboard at the 12th fret. It should be no more than 3/32 at the sixth string, and a little less than that on the first string, say 5/64ths. One term for this is the action. The sting distance at the first few frets should be about the thickness of a heavy pick. Many inexpensive guitars need to have the action adjusted it will make playing easier. The action can be different for diferent palyers, get it as low as you can without creating fret buzz.

Also check for a warped or bowed neck which could raise the action.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.