View post (does anybody care?)

View thread

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/20/2006 2:59 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI don't mean to keep the debate going, but this struck me as odd. you use the laws of thermodynamics:

to try to disprove evolution. but wouldn't God making the earth out of nothing also defy the first law of thermodynamics? You have tried to explain how God uses science to perform the things he does in the past. So why would he do some things using science to achieve them, and others he just does out of the blue?

also, sure, the chances of life happening may be 1 in 10 to the 250th power, but if life were given an infinite number of chances, then eventually it had to happen. I mean, over the course of billions, trillions, maybe zillions of years, it had to happen at least once. And also, maybe we weren't the first try, and it took several attempts before life was given the perfect settings to exist. but it's definately a possibility. winning the lottery is improbable, yet possible, and it's not like nobody has ever won the lottery. if I were to go buy a lottery ticket today, I probably wouldn't win. but if I bought a lottery ticket once a day for a billion years, I would probably win it at least once.

It seems to defy the definition of "random" to say that, given an extremely high number of attempts, something with an extremely low probability of occuring will occur. Just because you try a million times to win a 1 in a million odds lottery does not mean that you will win. Rolling a six-sided dice six times will not guarantee your rolling a six at least once.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]