View post (Line6 Variax 700 HT)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/01/2006 8:51 pm
OK this is a modeling Axe from those very clever people at Line6 who have previously relieved you of you cash through there line of POD guitar modelers. There are several types of Variax, and the rule of thumb is the higher the number the better the axe

here is a picture:

It retails at about $1400 and I got mine from www.musiciansfriend.com (despite my previous tirades).

What it does:

models different guitars, examples being: '59 strat, an bunch of Teles, a selection of Les Pauls, some acoustics a resonator and a sitar. There is a more in depth discription at www.line6.com

Review:

In short is is a little odd to play built it sounds fantastic.

The strat models sound nicer than the three (very nice) Fender Strats I own, the LP mod sounds better than my Gibson RI 1960 Classic LP and Im just gob-smacked.

The only thing I have guitar-wise that can hold a candle to this beast is my PRS CE24.

Summary: This is a wonderful bit of kit. I wish I'd got one years ago, it would have saved me a fortune ! It is just fantastic !!

9.2/10

Two minor points where it dropped marks:

1) playability as, next to Jackson's and PRSs it will feel a little clunky however this is also a matter of my personal taste and really not a biggy.

2) Line6 are cheap ******** for suppling it with a gig bag rather than a hard case. Come one guys do you want people to take you seriously ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS