View post (Are your guitar solos generally spontaneous...)

View thread

wierdomusic
wierdomusic
08/22/2001 11:03 pm
Hey over there in USA,I am a new member from london England and I am burning the midnight lamp. I have been playing rock and metal since the late 70s and moved over to jazz and funk and fusion and now just about anything goes for me as far as style is concerned (not to dis the guys who play country but oh no, I do have to draw the line somewhere you know)
I always remember that saying "guitarists always practice what they already know how to play" I think that there is a certain ammount of truth in that since one has to be quite familiar with certain methods of passing through chords for example or stunt techniques like pinch harmonics or tapping stuff to be able to pull it off live.However there is also the saying that jazz musicians have which is that you practice all that theory and chord/arpeggio stuff to get up on stage and forget it, not literally but one does not play from books on stage.The theory and techniques are training that must have already been digested enough so that when on stage inspiration and subliminal intuition can take control of your creativity. I like to go out on a limb myself and see how I can get back inside by making my way through what are sometimes clearly very weird and seemingly unconnected ideas.Hence the forum name. Want to talk about inside/outside sounds?I like chords and think very in a very harmonic manner even when it comes to scales and modes etc.Ever heard of Rammon Ricker?
Wierdomusic AKA: The Wizard of Odd