MArshall Tube amp maintenance!

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
12/18/2005 4:27 am
1.Well, I have been noticing my Marshall half stack (tube) is sounding kinda dull, meaning not as crunching and tube sounding. I am guessing it is because it needs tube replacements. Would you think so?

2. There are so many things that could go wrong in a tube amp as far as blowing crap up or frying things. Please tell me what I can do to keep my marshall head and cab from being ruined because I put alot of my hard minimum wage money into it.

3. What about my fuses? Should I change them every so often?????

4. On the head of my stack it says to not switch to mono if using stereo units or something like that. Is a marshall cab stereo????

Sorry of my lack of knowledge on these amps.

I got this marshall from ebay and I dont know really how long its been since anything has been changed on this puppy so let me know what you think for experienced tube amplifier people. Help would be very appreciative.
Mike ;)
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
12/20/2005 6:04 pm
I recommend getting the amp re-tubed and re-biased by a pro. I don't think the fuses need to be changed out, never heard of that as a maintenance thing anyway...

Some Marshall cabs are stereo, but only if it has 2 inputs on the back. They also say they are stereo on the back near the inputs if it is stereo.

The golden rule for tube amps.....never turn the amp on without it being connected to the cabinet. Even with the standby switch off....This can and will fry your amp quicker than anything else.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
12/20/2005 10:19 pm
I hate to be fumb but what is re-biased???
Mike ;)
# 3
HDJ
HDJ
12/20/2005 10:42 pm
Re-biasing is basically adjusting the amp to work with the new tubes. Tubes are sold in pairs for a reason, so they match. The amp has to be adjusted so the full greatness of the new tubes shines through. If you take it to a tech to re-tube, re-biasing is part of the re-tubing process. Not something to try at home....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.